Patrick Caulfield Calls It A Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Caulfield Calls It A Day

One of the U.K.'s artists from the Brit Pop Art scene has passed over to that great life study room in the sky:

UK artist Patrick Caulfield, known for his spare, precise studies of interiors and still life, has died aged 69.
    Part of the 1960s generation of artists, his bold, colourful images were often associated with Pop Art.

Tate galleries director Nicholas Serota described Caulfield as "one of the most original image makers in a talented generation of British artists".

"His still lifes and interiors captured mood and decor with incisive style," Mr Serota said.

'Really alien'

In a 1999 interview with The Observer newspaper, Caulfield said his interest in interiors developed in art school as a reaction against social realism.

"So I tried to do things that were really alien to me, invented interiors that I had never seen," he said.

"I tended to choose things that were slightly past, out of fashion, which would make it more distant."

His 1996 painting Happy Hour shows a light, a wine glass and an exit sign.

When he began painting, he was quoted as saying that he started with the light, "without exactly knowing how I would end up".

Caulfield died in London on Thursday, confirmed the capital's Waddington Gallery, which represented the artist for more than 30 years.

He is survived by his wife, and three sons from a previous marriage.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Patrick Caulfield's work online:

Patrick Caulfield [British Pop Artist, 1936-2005] Guide to pictures of works by Patrick Caulfield in art museum sites and image archives worldwide.

You can see his influence in the work of contemporary artists such as Julian Opie:

Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

he was a cartoonist?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
      he was a cartoonist?
      No.
      Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

covered tits

Comment

Not that Delacroix did anything better in that aspect

Greece on the ruins of Messolongi, by Delacroix. 1826 Oil on canvas. Musée des Beaux-Arts, Bordeaux, France

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder
            Not that Delaxroix did anything better in that aspect

Yes, I did rather wonder why you criticised him for that, given that his painting was an homage to a robed, not disrobed, original.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Yes, I did rather wonder why you criticised him for that, given that his painting was an homage to a robed, not disrobed, original.....
              Because for a brief second I mistook it for that.

Eugene Delacroix, Liberty Leading the People

Comment

El Greco Loco

Getting your kit off Greek style:
                Attached Files

Comment

Fortunately in that instance Saint Martin applied the biblical teachings about sharing your cloak

Comment

Yes, I imagine the beggar wouldn't have been at all grateful for armour on naked skin... all that chafing.

St. Jerome gets a jockstrap:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes this penance thingy can go too far

Comment

Each to their own Stylites.

Anyway, you lot had Diogenes, so you're no nation to criticise the dress sense of the penitential !

Patrick Caulfield
                        Parish Church

This painting is derived from an illustration which Caulfield found in a book on churches. The title of the particular chapter was 'The Parish Church'. Caulfield chose to depict a church, partly because it was an unusual subject to find in art in the 1960s, a time when Pop Art was the dominant style. The artist also had in mind a cardboard church that he had made when he was a child. The model had stained-glass windows, which glowed brightly, when the building was lit from the inside.

Accession no.GMA 1536
                        MediumOil on canvas
                        Size152.30 x 274.40 cm
                        SubjectsChurches and cathedrals
                        CreditPurchased 1976
                        Attached Files

Comment

no relation to Holden?
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                          X