X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koizumi's Visits To Shrine Now More Illegal

Japanese Court Rules Premier's Visits to War Shrine Illegal

Published: October 1, 2005
    TOKYO, Sept. 30 - A Japanese court on Friday handed a rare victory to opponents of Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's visits to a war shrine, ruling that the visits violated Japan's constitutional separation of religion and the state.

Experts said the ruling by the Osaka High Court probably would not force the Japanese prime minister to stop visiting the Yasukuni Shrine, which honors Japan's war dead, including those hanged for criminal conduct during World War II. But they called it a symbolic victory for critics here and elsewhere, who regard the visits as a measure of Japan's lack of contrition for wartime atrocities.

"This will strengthen Koizumi's opponents," said Hiroshi Nakanishi, a professor of international politics at Kyoto University. "More people will be encouraged to speak out against the visits."

Mr. Koizumi questioned the ruling but left his intentions about future visits unclear.

There was no immediate reaction from either China or South Korea, the most vociferous objectors to Mr. Koizumi's visits to the shrine, as well as to Japanese history textbooks that critics say underplay atrocities Japan committed during the war.

This is the second time a Japanese court has ruled against the visits while courts have rejected eight other cases, including a ruling Thursday by the Tokyo High Court dismissing a civil suit. Plaintiffs in that suit said they would appeal to Japan's Supreme Court.

While Mr. Koizumi has apologized for Japan's wartime conduct, notably last spring at a meeting of Asian and African leaders in Jakarta, Indonesia, his widespread popularity in Japan partly reflects a desire among many Japanese to see their country play a more assertive role in global affairs and to disentangle itself from what they view as its burdensome wartime past.

At the same time, the number of court cases brought over the Yasukuni Shrine issue reflects the intense emotions the prime minister's visits provoke in Japan and Asia.

The ruling on Friday concerned a case brought by 188 people, including 116 citizens of Taiwan, a former Japanese colony. While ruling the prime minister's visits unconstitutional, the court rejected a request for 10,000 yen, or about $90, in compensation for each plaintiff for "psychological damages" caused by the visits. Many of the Taiwanese are relatives of soldiers from Taiwan who died fighting for Japan in World War II and had been memorialized in the Yasukuni Shrine against their families' wishes.

Since taking office four years ago, Mr. Koizumi has paid annual visits to the shrine, a sprawling Shinto complex in central Tokyo that is a favorite gathering spot for veterans and rightist groups. Shinto served as Japan's state religion until 1945, when Emperor Hirohito disavowed its veneration of him as a living deity.

Mr. Koizumi has not visited the shrine since January 2004, but before the ruling on Friday there had been widespread speculation that he might visit it before the year's end.

"I don't understand why my visits to Yasukuni violate the Constitution," Mr. Koizumi told Japan's Parliament after the ruling, The Associated Press reported. "I'm paying my respects to those who died in the war, with the conviction that we must never wage such a war again."

Mr. Koizumi was also quoted as saying he had visited the shrine "as a private citizen, and as prime minister, but not in a public capacity."

The apparent contradiction in that statement captured the difficult position in which Mr. Koizumi now found himself, experts said. In the ruling, the court said Mr. Koizumi's visits were a public act as prime minister and therefore unconstitutional.

In the past, Mr. Koizumi tried to sidestep the legal aspects of his visits by leaving vague whether he went as a private citizen or as a public figure. But the court ruled that merely by leaving his status vague, the visits appeared to be public acts.

Experts said the ruling might force Mr. Koizumi to state clearly that he was visiting as a private citizen. But doing that would anger conservatives, who want the prime minister to honor Japan's war dead in an official way.

Professor Nakanishi of Kyoto University said the ruling carried extra weight because it was handed down by a higher court. The previous ruling against the visits was by a district court in Fukuoka in April 2004.
    As it says, Koizumi might just have to state that he is visiting as private citizen. Although it will fall on deaf ears, it further demonstrates that Japan, itself, is aware and concerned about its past war crimes.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Japan should re-assert itself globally. But it should also fix their history books.

But I'm pretty sure China and the Korea's will never be satisfied.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Japan should weaponise its plutonium and nuke North Korea.

Then, when the South Koreans start to complain about the fallout, they should send a diplomatic note reading: "nobody likes a crybaby" and nuke Seoul.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"I don't understand why my visits to Yasukuni violate the Constitution," Mr. Koizumi told Japan's Parliament after the ruling, The Associated Press reported. "I'm paying my respects to those who died in the war, with the conviction that we must never wage such a war again."

Mr. Koizumi was also quoted as saying he had visited the shrine "as a private citizen, and as prime minister, but not in a public capacity."

I'm with Koizumi on this on. How does someone visiting a shrine (even the Prime Minister) on his own time violate the seperation between church and state?
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

I'm with Koizumi on this on. How does someone visiting a shrine (even the Prime Minister) on his own time violate the seperation between church and state?

Wow...I am impressed.

But in a round-about way, Drake is right. When the president of the U.S. goes to church, wouldn't that be equal to what the Prime Minister of Japan is doing?

I give Koizumi major props . Koizumi is saying things how it is. Unlike American politics...
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Koizumi's in a pretty unique position for a politician, though, as he's so popular that he can say pretty much say whatever he wants. I'm sure there are a lot of American politicians who would love to say what they really think about things, but they can't afford the political fallout that may occur.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

But in a round-about way, Drake is right. When the president of the U.S. goes to church, wouldn't that be equal to what the Prime Minister of Japan is doing?
              Two words:

war shrine
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

It's not a "war shrine". It's a shrine that honors Japan's war dead.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It's not a "war shrine". It's a shrine that honors Japan's war dead.

Dammit. Shaddap. I'll admit I don't normally agree w/you but damn.

Our President visits "memorials" that would most definitely offend other nations. A 'shrine' or 'memorial', it's all the same thing. Koizumi is paying his respects to HIS nations soldiers. Yeah, they did some screwed up things, but can you honestly say that America hasn't done some pretty messed up stuff itself?

Comment

Dude, Hawaii is my squad on NCAA Football. We agree on all the important things.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Dude, Hawaii is my squad on NCAA Football. We agree on all the important things.

Now shoosh!

Comment

Working...
                      X