Great Words for Great Occasions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Words for Great Occasions

I just learned something I never knew. Apparently NASA never broadcast the final words of the last men to leave the moon.

Eugene Cernan: "Let's get this mutha outta here!"

That has to rank with Walt Whitman's dying words: "Hold me up. I want to ****!"

Or our own Edmund Hillary's words on being the first man to conquer Mt Everest:

"Well George. we knocked the bastard off!!"

Anyone have any other funnies like this? I always think it is more human and revealing than some of the obviously prepared remarks that folk use.
    Only feebs vote.

"[Those Rebs] couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--"

--Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, Battle of Spottsylvania, 1864.

(EDIT: Amended, as my memory of it was faulty)
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

"Codeine . . . bourbon."

--Tallulah Bankhead, d. December 12, 1968.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Only feebs vote.

Comment

Actually reading through the transcripts for the Challenger disaster it appears that all astronauts are foul mouthed yobs.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

The transcript I just read ends with the pilot saying "uh oh" as the only acknowledgment of a problem, followed immediately by a loss of signal
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              The transcript I just read ends with the pilot saying "uh oh" as the only acknowledgment of a problem, followed immediately by a loss of signal
              Me too...

Maybe he's referring to the comments refering to the ship as a "mother".

Kiwis are weird...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                "[Those Rebs] couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--"

--Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, Battle of Spottsylvania, 1864.

(EDIT: Amended, as my memory of it was faulty)
                A bit of an urban legend. Sedgwick was actually killed a couple of minutes after having repeated a couple of times (to one of his soldiers) "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance".
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"I am about to -- or I am going to -- die; either expression is used." - Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"Why yes - a bulletproof vest." - James Rodges' reply to a query for last requests, immediately before being shot by a firing squad
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

'What the **** was that?' - mayor of Hiroshima, 1945
                      'Let the ****ing woman drive' - Challenger crew
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I love George Sanders' louche disdainful farewell:

"Dear World. I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."
                        In 1972, Sanders wrote his brief billet-doux to the world, then took an overdose of sleeping pills.

Possibly the thought of having to star in krap like 'The Kremlin Letter' (where he had to drag up) or 'Psychomania' soured him on the world.

"Acting is like roller-skating. Once you know how to do it, it is neither stimulating nor exciting."
                        Attached Files
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

"Don't let it end like this. Say that I said something!"
                          -- Pancho Villa, Mexican revolutionary.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

"If this will offend you, please leave the room."

--Pennsylvania State Treasurer R. Budd Dwyer, seconds before placing a revolver in his mouth and blowing his own brains out on national television after being convicted on charges of bribery, fraud, racketeering, etc. Jan. 1987.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                              "Acting is like roller-skating. Once you know how to do it, it is neither stimulating nor exciting."
                              Judging by some of the roles I remember seeing him in (The Last Voyage), he should have stuck around a bit longer to hone his skill.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X