Synchronicity and Carl Jung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronicity and Carl Jung

Is it real and have you ever experienced this phenomenon?

The uncanny coincidence. The unlikely conjunction of events. The startling serendipity. Who hasn�t had it happen in their life? You think of someone for the first time in years, and run into them a few hours later. An unusual phrase you�d never heard before jumps out at you three times in the same day. On a back street in a foreign country, you bump into a college roommate. A book falls off the shelf at the bookstore and it�s exactly what you need.
    Synchronicity

CARL JUNG ON SYNCHRONICITY

Synchronicities are meaningful coincidences.

Psychologist Carl Jung believed the traditional notions of causality were incapable of explaining some of the more improbable forms of coincidence. Where it is plain, felt Jung, that no causal connection can be demonstrated between two events, but where a meaningful relationship nevertheless exists between them, a wholly different type of principle is likely to be operating. Jung called this principle "synchronicity."

In The Structure and Dynamics of the Psyche, Jung describes how, during his research into the phenomenon of the collective unconscious, he began to observe coincidences that were connected in such a meaningful way that their occurrence seemed to defy the calculations of probability. He provided numerous examples culled from his own psychiatric case-studies, many now legendary.

"A young woman I was treating had, at a critical moment, a dream in which she was given a golden scarab. While she was telling me his dream I sat with my back to the closed window. Suddenly I heard a noise behind me, like a gentle tapping. I turned round and saw a flying insect knocking against the window-pane from outside. I opened the window and caught the creature in the air as it flew in. It was the nearest analogy to the golden scarab that one finds in our latitudes, a scarabaeid beetle, the common rose-chafer (Cetoaia urata) which contrary to its usual habits had evidently felt an urge to get into a dark room at this particular moment. I must admit that nothing like it ever happened to me before or since, and that the dream of the patient has remained unique in my experience."

Carl Jung
    You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
    We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

I was looking at my Fluid Dynamics book and BAM! I needed to go pee! Holy crap!

I know the feeling, 'the phone is going to ring' and then it does!

Synchronicity is a fancy word for a coincidence. Everything has the potential to be a coincidence.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Intuition, researchers have found, flourishes in a person who is open, receptive and nonjudgmental. Synchronicity has had little research -- it defies laboratory tests, of course -- but people who have studied the topic report a phenomena which Alan Vaughan, author of Incredible Coincidence: The Baffling World of Synchronicity (Ballantine) calls "the synchronicity of synchronicity." Just having an active interest in the matter seems to make synchronicities happen more often -- in part, of course, because we notice them more.

Likewise, synchronicity too seems to be dampened by cynicism and doubt. Although some synchronistic events, like some intuitive hits, cannot be easily ignored, others are of a subtler nature -- almost dreamlike in their metaphorical patterns -- and it takes practice both to notice and decode them.
      From the above link
      You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
      We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

People remember coincidences meaningful to them, and forget the rest. Like a friend said to me he pointed his finger at a door and it swung shut. Many people have the experience of thinking of a friend when that person called.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Holy confirmation bias, Batman!

Comment

Just having an active interest in the matter seems to make synchronicities happen more often -- in part, of course, because we notice them more.
            Humans are very good at noticing patterns -- even when they aren't there. Plus, if you take an interest in "Synchronicity" you are inclined to interpret things that way.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

My mum got hooked on synchronicity. She had a nervous breakdown. Whenever I smoke weed I get hooked on synchronicity. Consequently I get paranoid and thus I no longer smoke weed.

The best thing to do is to ignore this stuff the best you can. It does happen, yes... but if you start reading meaning and fate into strange coincidences and events in your life... you can go off the rails. I've seen it happen.

Jung's a very interesting guy... I don't really buy it... but very interesting. I read a short book on his life and it spooked me. He had some trippy dreams... my personal favourite being the one where God takes a huge dump on a church.

Comment

On the other hand... quantum physics demonstrates that classical notions causality do not necessarily apply to the wo-STOP Dracon STOP!

*Dracon smacks himself in the head with a treatise on sanity wrapped around a cricket bat*

There that's better.

Comment

You should hire an existential detective.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
                    Jung's a very interesting guy... I don't really buy it... but very interesting. I read a short book on his life and it spooked me. He had some trippy dreams... my personal favourite being the one where God takes a huge dump on a church.
                    Well, Jung's theories are as scientific as Freud's. Namely not at all.

Comment

Yes, they're ideas are based primarily on personal observations and their own assumptions and biases often cloud the accuracy of their claims.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Well, Jung's theories are as scientific as Freud's. Namely not at all.
                        No debating you on that one.

Comment

It's happened to me.

My video card had died. Later that day, the cat knocked a book off my shelf that I had picked up cheap at a used bookstore. There was $82 inside. The next day, I bought a new video card.

The name of the book? The Immortal Contributions of Chairman Mao.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

He's the Dictator that keeps on giving

Comment

I have always believed in this but never knew someone had actually given it an academic turn.

In fact, I've recently been having many epsodes of Synchronicity the past couple of weeks.

They always come at key points in my life.

It makes no sense from an academic, scientific point of view, but there is something to it that we cannot understand.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X