X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nihal Atsiz
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    (Redirected from Huseyin Nihal Atsiz)

Nihal Atsiz (1905-1975) is a Turkish writer of the pan-Turkist or Turanism camp. He is known for his extreme views regarding the non-Turkic ethnicities, his active campaign against Turkish communists and his embracing of shamanistic, ancient Turkic traditions. He is among the theorists of Ulkuculuk, an extreme nationalist movement in Turkey. He was for a long time among the prominent members of the movement which became MHP (National Movement Party), led by Alparslan Turkes. He later seceded from the party in the belief that the party was sliding to more reconciliatory stance toward Islam, which Atsiz saw as uncompliable with pan-Turanism and shamanism.

This seems to be the whole song:

TÜRKÇÜLÜK BAYRAĞI

Türk duygusu her Türkçüye en tatlı kımızdır;
    Türk ülküsü candan da aziz bayrağımızdır.
    Bayrak ki onun gölgesi Bozkurtları toplar;
    Bayrak ki bütün kaybedilen yurtları toplar.
    Nerden geliyor? Tanrıkut'un ordularından!
    Lakin bize bir beyt okuyor kutlu yarından:
    Darbeyle gönüllerde yatan ülkü silinmez!
    Atsız yere düşmekle bu bayrak yere inmez!...

I don't know the translation, but you can guess what it is about

Comment

Well this hacker has convinced me that turks are better people. Obviously I should move there now. I feel great love for their people and country.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

And thanks guys, for those that helped.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Ah, come on. Hackers/crackers leave all sorts of messages when they do their stuff. Insults, etc. etc. You are not taking this serously I hope

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

I don't know the translation, but you can guess what it is about
            So probably not the joys of imam bayildi, rahat loukoum, turkish coffee and ripe figs...
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Here is what I got from an online translator:

PANTURKISM FLAG

Turk insensitive every Panturkism most tatli kimizdir;
              Turk ideal forthright even if dear bayrağımızdır.
              Flag whose shadow Bozkurtları total;
              Flag that whole kaybedilen yurtları total.
              Nerden bride? Tanrıkut'un ordularından!
              Lakin us one each beyt reader lucky tomorrow:
              Blow gönüllerde bedridden ideal indelible!
              Atsiz over düsmekle this flag over descending!

If you want to play with spelling to get better results:

Comment

and thats an exact translation
                Last edited by SpencerH; September 29, 2005, 09:41.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The Turkish ottok

Comment

The Turkish language is pretty phonetic and I know what the different characters mean and roughly how the language is pronounced. However I don't know many words of the language...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It was a shame they didn't keep their arabic characters.
                      Selling out

Comment

Re: Turkish Hackers...

Originally posted by Lorizael
                        TÜRK TÜRK'Ü SAHLASIN!

Nerden geliyor? Tanrikut'un ordularindan!
                        Lakin bize bir beyt okuyor kutlu yarindan:

Atsiz yere düsmekle bu bayrak yere inmez!..
                        It is indeed Turkish.

Well, it's pretty crappy, full of euphemisms from pan-Turkist literature as well as some vague figurations, which I try to approximate in what I take it to be their meaning:

"LET THE TURK SPUR THE TURK ON!

Where does it come from? From the armies of Tanrikut (*)
                        But lo, it reads us a line from the blessed tomorrow:

The ideal that lies at the heart can't be erased by force!
                        This flag won't come down even if you fall down from your horse.." (**)

* Tanrikut is the name/title of one of the great Hun Khans, Mete Khan, IIRC
                        ** Horse here might be a reference to the skilled horsemanship of Huns and Gokturks, the ancient tribes that were the forefathers of Turks (I would further guess that they might refer here to the belief that the only way the ancients would be unhorsed would be when they were killed, hence, "even if you fall down from your horse" --->"even if you're killed"

Sheesh...There might be some other hidden meaning here, which I can only guess since I'm not so well versed in this kind of stuff. For example, the word "darbe" literally means the hit that one takes or inflicts, which I translated here as "force" in context. It also means "coup d'etat" figuratively, so I'm just making a wild guess they might be referring to the coup of 1960 that resulted in a very liberal constitution.

Here's how it goes within the context that Vet ( )provides:

TÜRKÇÜLÜK BAYRAÐI

Türk duygusu her Türkçüye en tatlý kýmýzdýr;
                        Türk ülküsü candan da aziz bayraðýmýzdýr.
                        Bayrak ki onun gölgesi Bozkurtlarý toplar;
                        Bayrak ki bütün kaybedilen yurtlarý toplar.
                        Nerden geliyor? Tanrýkut'un ordularýndan!
                        Lakin bize bir beyt okuyor kutlu yarýndan:
                        Atsýz yere düþmekle bu bayrak yere inmez!...
                        "THE FLAG OF TURKISHNESS

The feeling of Turkishness is the sweetest kýmýz; (**)
                        The Turkish ideal is our divine flag, more valuable than life.
                        That flag, its shadow draws to itself wolves; (***)
                        That flag, it restores all the lost motherlands.
                        Where does it [the flag] come from? From the armies of Tanrikut!
                        But lo, it reads us a line from the blessed tomorrow:

The ideal that lies at the heart can't be erased by force!
                        This flag won't come down even if you fall down from your horse.."

** Kýmýz is a traditional drink in Central Asia, made from horse milk and a little quantity of horse blood, has a slight degree of alchohol I guess.
                        *** Gray wolf is the symbol of pan-Turkists.
                        Last edited by Ancyrean; September 29, 2005, 15:28.
                        "Common sense is as rare as genius" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Re: Turkish Hackers...

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          So a website that a friend of mine administers was just hacked, which is kind of odd considering the fact that the site gets absolutely no traffic.
                          I wonder why that website attracted the particular attention of the apparently extreme-nationalist hackers. Normally they wouldn't bother to place the poetry if it's not some (perceivedly) PKK-related site, or some site that somehow offends Turkish nationalist sensitivities.

There is a word in Bulgarian from Turkish origin that sounds like "bayrak" and means "flag/banner".
                          It indeed means flag in Turkish.

Also, do a google for "sahlasin". It comes up with a bunch of other sites that had not dissimilar things ...
                          That phrase, from the verb-root "þahlanmak", is pretty figurative, used in the grammatical tense for "letting". Its most literal meaning means the rearing up of a horse on its back feet. There are other meanings, and the closest translation I can come up with in context is "let spur on".

I have no idea about the Turkish spelling. I have only heard these words. AFAIK Turkish spelling is pretty straight forward like German, not like French.
                          Turkish is a very phonetical language. By having a "one letter, one precise sound" nature, it's more phonetical than even German. The Turkish language used different alphabets throughout its evolution. Starting from the Gokturk script (5th-6th century), to Sanskrit to Arabic. But the Arabic script, apart from its so-called merit of being the script of Quran, didn't have as many or as approppriate letters/vowels and hence didn't fit the language at all. Its abolishment in 1920s was in that sense a real blessing.

Well this hacker has convinced me that turks are better people. Obviously I should move there now. I feel great love for their people and country.
                          You would only be wise to do so, by fleeing from the culinary hell that Europe is . Also, ask Ted Striker about other benefits.
                          "Common sense is as rare as genius" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Wow, some interesting comments Ancyrean.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It's interesting that this guy seems to have been a shamanist or a pagan of some sort. Do you have any idea how big his movement/following was? He has a couple of web pages dedicated to him which probably means he was influential.

I'm curious because I would expect Panturkism to have a strong Islamic component, calling on the heritage of Sultan being the Caliph and spiritual leader of muslims and so on.

Comment

Turanism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Turanism, or Pan-Turanism, is a political movement for the union of all Turkic peoples, and as such is equivalent to Pan-Turkism. Georgeon and Landau extended Pan-Turanism, however, to be not only unity of all Turks, but also unity of Turks with Hungarians, Mongolians and Finns.

Finns?

ROTFLMAO

Comment

Working...
                                X