Damn you Microsoft and your Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn you Microsoft and your Windows XP

So.. I custom-build my computer about 4 months ago; and just two days ago I have a major error (blue screen, directx problem, absolutely have to reinstall windows).

Now the problem is that I can't reinstall WinXP without something to install it from. (win98 for example). I don't have Win98, and no body sells it.

The only other way around this problem is to buy a new computer for an OEM version. Yeah right, like I am going to buy some crappy put together computer, when I already have a perfectly fine and much better computer.

Thanks Microsoft.
    be free

???
    ow the problem is that I can't reinstall WinXP without something to install it from. (win98 for example).

Why not?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Maybe he got an upgrade version...
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Damn you Microsoft and your Windows XP

Originally posted by Sn00py
        So.. I custom-build my computer about 4 months ago
        you mean that you purchased the parts separately?
        otherwise, even if you made a custom order, you could have gotten a copy of windows oem....

i'm missing something here...
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

UR, I have not bought any Windows, for obvious reasons.

MarkG, I had the OEM version, but the CD recently broke. So yes, you were missing something.

You can see the problem I am in. I pretty much have a useless computer, unless I pirate Win98. Is that what Microsoft WANTS me to do?
          be free

Comment

Why not just borrow a friend's CD?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm confused.

Why can't you boot from the CD and install it? If it's an upgrade edition, why is there no OS on the harddrive already?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So.... you upgraded from a pirated Win 98? Which you don't have anymore?
                "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Just download an XP image. Its not like they're hard to come by.

Comment

If you have a legitimate license, you shouldn't have a problem. Borrow a cd, download an image, or even contact MS and asked them for a new disk, since you have a license. I'd do the image as a last resort, since you never know who's altered it for their own nefarious purposes.

You can buy OEM disks fairly inexpensively, IIRC.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I can courier you a cd if you need it.
                      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Foolish MS! Expecting people to actually buy their products!
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

BTW I'm stunned by how much a copy of win98se costs. I have a couple of oem versions I bought for $10 ea. Now they're like $40-50.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                            Foolish MS! Expecting people to actually buy their products!
                            Indeed. A retail copy of Windows XP Professional initially went for HKD2500 (USD320). They had to think of us as fools...
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why is no body getting it?

I said I have WinXP, I said it broke.

I also stated that is pointless in buying WinXP simply because you cannot boot from the WinXP CD, you HAVE to UPDATE to it from an earlier Windows (win98). Either that or buy an OEM version (which is bootable), but OEM's only work if your computer is not older than 90 days.

Get it now?

Oh and btw, I would get WinXP update, but obviously I would need Win98, my argument is that I CAN'T buy Win98 anywhere, I've looked all over the place. (And I'm in Singapore for crying out loud!).
                              be free

Comment

Working...
                              X