Oh Mac users, lend me your knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    What kind of serious writing is done in ancient Greek these days?

You should be careful with your wording, replace "serious writing" with "frivolous meanial bull****".

Serious writing hasn't been in Greek for some time...

You really are a halfwit. And you can't even spell "menial" properly to boot.

Is this really the best you can do?
    Use ****ing LaTeX to typeset in Greek, you ignorant philosopher...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The secret to being a smart computer user is using the right tool for the right job.

Agathon tries to write Greek manuscripts in MS Word and gets all flustered about it. MS doesn't bother to really "fix" that because, well, he's probably the only person dumb enough not to know the proper tools designed for input for charsets like Greek.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Use ****ing LaTeX to typeset in Greek, you ignorant philosopher...
        Why would I, when I can do it five times as fast by using a Macintosh?

That's dumb even by your low standards.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

If you have problems typing in Windows, the problem is likely between the keyboard and the chair.

What exactly is the problem with typing in different fonts in Windows?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

5 times faster?

I guarantee you that it's quicker to typeset in LaTeX with a good editor (WinEDT, for example) than it is to use whatever piece of **** Macs do. Plus when you're done you've got a clean PDF instead of whatever piece of **** file format Apple saves your **** as...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              The secret to being a smart computer user is using the right tool for the right job.

Agathon tries to write Greek manuscripts in MS Word and gets all flustered about it. MS doesn't bother to really "fix" that because, well, he's probably the only person dumb enough not to know the proper tools designed for input for charsets like Greek.
              And yet again you own yourself completely. Microsoft got cheers from me for fixing this in the latest version of Word for Macintosh. I even posted about it here on Apolyton.

I guess that someone of your intellectual capacity needs a picture:
              Attached Files
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Nobody uses ****ing Macs. Everybody in the sciences uses Linux and Windows. All typesetting is done in LaTeX

Show up with a Mac and people would laugh their asses off at you. Macs are for ultrahip rebels and retarded children.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And yet again you own yourself completely. Microsoft got cheers from me for fixing this in the latest version of Word for Macintosh. I even posted about it here on Apolyton.

email me that Word doc and font you use, davemilford AT gmail DOT com

I'll show you what it looks like in Office 2003...

Comment

Yup. Looks like **** compared to what you end up with from LaTeX (i.e. professionally-typeset documents ready for publication)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

5 times faster?

I guarantee you that it's quicker to typeset in LaTeX with a good editor (WinEDT, for example) than it is to use whatever piece of **** Macs do. Plus when you're done you've got a clean PDF instead of whatever piece of **** file format Apple saves your **** as...
                      That stuff is a waste of time. It's simply easier to do WYSIWYG. Are you drunk again? You reallly need to see someone about this little problem of yours.

And again, you demonstrate your complete ignorance. OS X allows you to output anything to PDF. I do it all the time.

Owned twice in five minutes. Sad that this isn't a record for you.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Something tells me you have no idea how to use LaTeX, or even have a high-level overview of what it is.

It's been the standard in non-technology-inept Academia for 20 years now. You guys will get there eventually, once you get over the lack of pretty colors and big buttons.

Comment

It's simply easier to do WYSIWYG

funny, if I see \g and I've set that as a hotkey to \gamma then I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I've just typed a gamma.

And in point of fact it's just plain easier to not do WYSIWYG. There's a reason we typeset in LaTex; the language is simple, the syntax is intuitive and when we're done it doesn't look like we pooped on a page...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nobody uses ****ing Macs. Everybody in the sciences uses Linux and Windows. All typesetting is done in LaTeX

Show up with a Mac and people would laugh their asses off at you. Macs are for ultrahip rebels and retarded children.
                            I've seen Macs in science labs. I don't know what they are used for. I daren't go inside because of the smell because none of you seem to wash.

You can use LaTeX on the Mac if you want to, but why bother. It's a waste of time. I guess some of us would rather spend our time writing than trying to fiddle with LaTeX.

But I guess I would rather be an ultrahip rebel than a dull-witted physics undergraduate. Undergrad science is training monkeys.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

But I guess I would rather be an ultrahip rebel than a dull-witted physics undergraduate. Undergrad science is training monkeys.
                              KH isn't an undergrad...

Comment

It's simply easier to do WYSIWYG

funny, if I see \g and I've set that as a hotkey to \gamma then I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I've just typed a gamma.

And in point of fact it's just plain easier to not do WYSIWYG. There's a reason we typeset in LaTex; the language is simple, the syntax is intuitive and when we're done it doesn't look like we pooped on a page...
                                Hence the reason why the whole world uses LaTeX....

I guess hitting command space to type in Greek is too hard for you.

But what you do does look like someone pooped on a page. It's boring. Interesting people don't waste time with that boring crap. That's why it's left for the dullards.

But if you want to feed your inferiority complex by trolling, please go ahead.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X