X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Bills

my houses water bill was outrageously high this last time

we have de facto something like 6 people living there

but two don't shower there (they shower at their SOs), and two don't do laundery there (at SOs or Moms)

we mostly all eat out, so dishes aren't that big

yet somehow we paid ~500 for water for the last 3 months

and we don't water our lawn, or do anything like that

some freinds, who live a block away, pay ~150..

I am thinking that something is seriously wrong... what should I do to figure out what? how should I fix it?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Water is a flat-rate thing where I live.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The Bills sucked on sunday.
      What?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Water is a flat-rate thing where I live.
        If you mean Calgary-- not for most people-- IIRC All new builds have water meters and there are tentative plans to meter everyone by some future date like 2010 or something

If you mean some Ontario locationerr nevermind

On the OP . . . 500 seems like a LOT to pay for water a real lot. I pay nowwhere near that and I DO water my lawn
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Something is probably wrong.
          I can think of one possibility.
          I have known some water companies that estimate your monthly usage and only check your meter a few times a year, and if their estimate was really low, when they actually check your meter, your high bill may be a result of many many months.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

With local prices that would be 1.000 qubic metres a month and thats a LOT of water. Well, I guess that you pay more than 15 cents per qm

If I were you, I would check the pipes - even a small hole can leak a lot of water.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
              With local prices that would be 1.000 qubic metres a month and thats a LOT of water. Well, I guess that you pay more than 15 cents per qm

If I were you, I would check the pipes - even a small hole can leak a lot of water.
              Ya-- you should check for a running toilet or leaky faucet as well. I'm assuming that you folks are metered on the entry to your house so any major leaks should become apparent
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Something is probably wrong.
                I can think of one possibility.
                I have known some water companies that estimate your monthly usage and only check your meter a few times a year, and if their estimate was really low, when they actually check your meter, your high bill may be a result of many many months.
                True - it happened with my last gas bill(which was my first as i was all electirc before). Got a bill for £85 for 3months, which seeemed too high, so i looked on the bill and there is a number you can call to give your reading. So i did and my bill became £20. So give them a call and see if you can get a real bill(500 sounds way to high).
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

are water bills are always really high..

like normally ours is twice as high as our freinds...

this time they were three times as high

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Something maybe worth thinking about is that if your in a rented property or have a landlord attached to your property then you may also be paying for your neighbours water too. In London i know people this has happened to(its illegal) - so if after contacting your water company to get a reading you know is true, it still seems high then think of this option. Or maybe you have a leak in the pipes on your property - again calling your water company will enable you ask them about your very high consumption and these issues.
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

ok

most of us just pay.. and don't think about it

one of the hosuemates (Who doesn't really use the utilities...) is willing to make an issue of it though

(the rest of us just complain a little, or comment it, or get upset at whoever is being wasteful (but as I said.. I don't know of anyone who is being so..))

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

JM,

Who is in charge of actually paying the bill? If its not you, there could be a problem with the company actually receiving the payments and what you are seeing is an accumulation of many billing periods.

Or they may not have added on your last payment yet. Not sure what a normal water bill should look like though, most places I've lived include it with the rent.

Comment

Just out of curiosity - where is your meter placed ? In house or at your perimeter (wrong word but I can't be bothered to find a better ). If it's the latter there might be a reason that you don't water your lawn.

Another thing - if you water use is exploded and you can't find a reason (more washing, bathing etc), then I really will suggest to get your piping checked - you don't want to experience what excess water in the underground can make to your house (walls starting to crack up, fungus etc).
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

it isn't me

but I pay the bill every time it is requested for.. so I know that the company is payed regularly

what I posted is what I have been paying... (was ~300ish for 3 months (often), last three was ~500)

our meter is on the house, I think

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I was on flat rate water supply and paying over £25, I switched to a meter and now I pay £6!

Comment

Working...
                              X