Calling all Chefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I actually did it.

As usual I didn't think things through carefully. While I knew it'd be tad on the unhealthy side, I did not realize how unhealthy.

If something happens to my heart few years down the road, I will know it's this meal that did it.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Sorry Barinthus just the idea of eating a scallop would make my heart stop
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Steam them, with julienned ginger and a splash of walnut oil .

Alternatively, quick sear them with a chili infused olive oil and serve them on wilted rocket or watercress leaves.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I've really lost my taste for bacon over the past few years. I used to like it, but recently I've been avoiding it like the plaque. It just doesn't taste good to me anymore.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Sikander, try a salt cured bacon. It's like comparion those cheap chocolate Easter bunnies to gourmet chocolates. I only eat turkey bacon these days, and the lean version at that, but there is nothing to compare to a good salt cured bacon or ham.

Hmm - I may try Molly's first recipe, it would let me eat scallops again. I've never been much on steaming, when do you add the ginger/oil, what's the general technique (I steamed some once and they ended up rubbery).
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

If they ended up rubbery it means you cooked them too long.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Scallops a la Saras:

Take scallop;
                add salt and pepper;
                eat;
                take a shot of vodka;
                repeat

bon appetit!

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I do this with beef as well
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Try Scallops ceviche for something different. Personally I really like to lightly salt and pepper them and then pan fry them until they caramelize and then flip them over and do the same with the other side. This must be done under very high heat. I remove them and make a sauce out of the remaining crusty bits (shallots, a bit of stock, some sort of alcohol like wine, sherry, or liquor, herbs, and a bit of butter). One combination I like is an orange liquor of some sort, a bit of orange juice, some chicken stock, and thyme.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                      Steam them, with julienned ginger and a splash of walnut oil.
                      "Julienne" - learn something new everyday

How's walnut oil? I haven't even seen it.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

tastes just like walnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

"Julienne" - learn something new everyday

How's walnut oil? I haven't even seen it.

It's delicious- if you like mild to medium sesame oils, I think you'd like walnut oil.

It goes well with potatoes, with leafy green vegetables like bok choy, spinach, chard, rocket and watercress- something crunchy and peppery sets it off nicely.

You might find it works well with firm tofu, because I use it with salty white cheeses.

shawn- if your scallops were rubbery, you steamed 'em too long. If you are steaming, rub the dish you place them in with a little oil to prevent them from sticking to it, and drizzle a little oil on the scallops too. Then scatter a small amount of julienned ginger (you don't need much, just enough to impart a little heat) and a scant pinch of salt & pepper on top and steam until done.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Now I understand what I've done wrong - I have one of those little stainless steel steamers, you know the kind that folds and then unfolds into a perforated dish (it looks like it could be a sci-fi prop). Since it is never actually on the cooking surfacee, that explains why I was not imagining how that worked. I MUST try that. Thanks!
                            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                              Now I understand what I've done wrong - I have one of those little stainless steel steamers, you know the kind that folds and then unfolds into a perforated dish (it looks like it could be a sci-fi prop). Since it is never actually on the cooking surfacee, that explains why I was not imagining how that worked. I MUST try that. Thanks!

It works for steamed spare ribs too- or tripe or squid.

I use chilli and black bean sauce, a little salt and pepper- tasty.

Comment

LikBez for me, please - what does "julienned" stand for?

Comment

Working...
                                X