Pekka Recommends pt II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pekka Recommends pt II

This is the latest edition of Pekka Recommends. In these feature threads, I recommend quality films, books, music etc.

In my first part I recommended Wedding Crashers, the comedy.

This one will be something people in the US oughta see, because I reckon it's not such a big hit in theaters like Wedding Crashers is/was.

The movie is called Green Street Hooligans. It is an excellent movie by Lexi Alexander, that shows the viewer how easy it is to get sucked into hooliganism.

The story is about an American student who gets kicked off from Harward on false grounds. Elijah Wood as Matt Buckner would have never gotten an invitation if I was holding the casting, but Elijah did a decent job and I was positively surprised.

So, Matt Buckner goes into England to take a bit time off, and he meets a guy, Pete Dunham (Charlie Hunnam), a proper Hoolie of Westham United. The charismatic leader of the group takes Matt under his wings, and shows him the new world.

Even though the movie is violent, it does not glorify violence, or the acts of hooliganism. It takes an objective look at it, and how friendships and group bonding sucks a normal guy into a world of fighting and tearing places up. You actually want Matt to participate and go on, not back down and go back to his old ways of normal life. The capturing lifestyle is interesting to say the least, but also dangerous, and at the end, hooliganism.

Green Street Hooligans succeeds where Football Factory failed. I recommend this movie warmly to everyone, and leave the minors home for this one. Don't let the fact that Elijah Wood is in this movie turn you down, because you'd be missing a pretty damn good movie if you did.

Remember.. when you're outnumbered and cornered.. STAND YOUR GROUND!

4 stars.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

REAlize the greatness of this movie. Educate yourself about football. YES FOOTBALL not soccer.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
    X