Shalom Aleichem (Jewish music thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shalom Aleichem (Jewish music thread)

So, I'm looking for some good traditional Jewish Music (especially Yiddish Music). I especially love the "Mazel Tov!" spirit that inhabits much of the Yiddish music I had the opportunity to hear so far.

Obviously, I have acquired a few versions of the Shalom Aleichem already, bvut none of them really satisfy me. I'd like some Yiddshness that really looks like Eastern European music, Eöir Kusturica Style When I was to Jewish weddings, I got to hear versions of the Shalom Aleichem that were a debauchery of instruments and fun, none of which I could find on the interweb

I know that the Yiddish have some fantastically fun music, but I just can't find it, now that I'm looking for it

Do y'all know any good, happy Yiddish music that really sounds like the kind of fun the people want during weddings or other happy celebrations?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

EMir Kusturica you mean?

Comment

Err, yes. I have just trunk 2 litres of beer, so I'm prone to do some typos
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I have this song. I downloaded it off Kazaa 2-3 years ago.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Try the Cracow Klezmer band, Shlomo Carlebach, Giora Feidman and Izthak Perlman for starters. Move on to the Budapest Klezmer band if your still want more and try out some israeli pop songs if your really hungry.

EDIT: Shlomo, not Shomo
          Last edited by laurentius; September 24, 2005, 19:45.
          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I love John Zorn's Masada project. I highly recommend the following CDs:

Bar kokhba

Here's the Allmusic review:

Bar Kokhba encompasses the wealth of material John Zorn has composed with his eminent quartet Masada. The album is a collection of Masada songs that have been rearranged for chamber ensembles. For this effort, Zorn enlists some of New York's finest musicians: John Medeski, Marc Ribot, Anthony Coleman, and Erik Freedlander, among others. The compositions range from groups of four to solo performances by Ribot, Medeski, and Coleman. While some compositions retain their original structure and sound, some are expanded and probed by Zorn's arrangements, and resemble avant-garde classical music more than jazz. But this is the beauty of the album; the ensembles provide a forum for Zorn to expand his compositions. The album consistently impresses, and the highlights include "Gevurah," "Paran," and "Mochin." Zorn's genius as both songwriter and arranger are evidenced, and the recording sits well among the traditional Masada material.
            The Circle Maker

The allmusic review:

This two-disc release captures beautiful and refined music that makes full use of two ensembles' extraordinary musicianship. Drawing from John Zorn's Masada songbook are the Masada String Trio and the Bar Kokhba Sextet. Each ensemble fills one CD with beautiful chamber jazz woven around a heart of Jewish melodies. Zorn skeptics will find the superb and elegant music on The Circle Maker surprisingly stable and accessible. This is a fitting successor to the other Masada works that Zorn doesn't actually perform on -- the first Masada chamber project, Bar Kokhba, and Film Works, Vol. 8, whose recording session wrapped up weeks before this weekend date of December 1997. Issachar is the name of the disc on which bassist Greg Cohen, cellist Erik Friedlander, and violinist Mark Feldman perform. Zevulun features the Bar Kokhba Sextet: the Masada String Trio plus drummer Joey Baron, percussionist Cyro Baptista, and guitarist Marc Ribot. All of these musicians are accomplished in jazz and improvised music, and have performed extensively in world and/or classical settings as well. The Circle Maker is a very necessary recording for all appreciators of chamber jazz, new Jewish music, or any of these stellar musicians.
            For a mix between traditionnal jewish music and free jazz, check out the Masada quartet CDs. I particularly enjoy Gimel.

Allmusic review:

The unique and fresh voice of John Zorn's Masada reigns triumphant once again on this third installment, Gimel. Zorn has challenged and reinvented the face of modern jazz with this quartet. Expanding on traditional Jewish music of various types and adapting it to a jazz environment seems a daunting task, but one that Zorn and company (Joey Baron, Greg Cohen and Dave Douglas) have done well. Zorn's choice of personnel is impeccable, and this is evidenced by the intricate yet powerful sound. The album spans the barrage of songs like "Ziphim," "Katzatz" and "Hekhal" to the sweet moments of "Abidan" and "Sheloshim." At times sounding like an Eastern Ornette Coleman, and sometimes playing with the rampant fury that is characteristic solely of Zorn himself, the band has incorporated and evolved the form of jazz. This album is certainly a highlight of the Masada collection as a whole, and provides a great introduction to the band. Some of the songs can be found reworked on Bar Kokhba as well. There is little more to be said of this album, as the music speaks for itself.
            Last edited by Nostromo; September 25, 2005, 02:08.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Pay? I don't pay for music.

Well, not unless I know it is good. That's why I always insist on trying before I buy. I end up buying arounf $500-$800 worth of CDs per year though so the reality is the music companies are very lucky to have people like me. We make up the bulk of their business.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

Comment

נינט טייב ורן דנקר - השיר שלך - מתוך מלכת היופי
                  Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Shalom Aleichem gets the Big Jim Slade seal of approval.

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Mahler, best Jewish music ever written. Although, Hindemith is pretty cool. Meyerbeer isn't so hot, though.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

נינט טייב ורן דנקר - השיר שלך - מתוך מלכת היופי

urgh.NSFW

Comment

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Ofra Haza is very nice. I think it is Ydidish.
                            BTW What does "Frecha" and "Chai" mean?
                            Quendelie axan!

Comment

I'm sorry.

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                              X