when do you scrap a winxp install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do you scrap a winxp install?

My motherboard died recently, complete with visually obvious capacitor bulging and a weird burning odor. I've replaced the motherboard with a nearly identical one a friend offered which had been running rock solid when used and doesn't have any visible damage. However, when I tried to re-activate windows XP (forced as a result of the hardware change) the internet activation failed directing me to use the phone number which resulted in being transferred to somebody to manually complete the activation which resulted in them telling me that the numbers that windows xp was displaying for me to give them were invalid. They had me generate a new number which also was said to be invalid.

I was directed to technical services with a case number to resolve the issue. I had to wait until the next day because technical support hours had ended. The next day the problem got weirder as I was greeted at my log in attempt for activation with 4 pop up error messages stating that certain files could not be 'validated' "probably because of a missing root certificate" before I had even clicked the first option in the activation process. The technical service rep was able to wlk me through an activation using numbers generated at their end somehow from the numbers I had recorded in the previous attempts and the original product certification number. The tech then advised me at the end of the call that I should back up all my files, format my hardisk and reinstall windows xp from scratch on a totally clean harddisk because he said a pre-existing windows XP installation was not usually stable after such a "major" hardware change.

I didn't like that idea at all so I waited to see just how unstable it would be. The system at first was grossly unstable but removing a long suspect memory stick (suspect because it was the one that had been in not one but twosystems at those systems times of death) allowed the system to run for hours without crashing and removed a constantly repeating video artifact that had appeared in various games I tested after the reactivation.

Now everything seems stable in games but when booting up the system refuses to post about a third of the time (especially the first boot up after a crash) and my cable modem connection gives me cannot find page errors about a third of the time I go to a web page even though when it does reach a page it loads as fast as ever. The system now only crashes when web activity is occuring but the web activity doesnt even have to be very intense.

Can I assume that I need to reinstall windows to troubleshoot this problem or could it be that the mainboard failure has somehow damaged the other components such as my netcard?

What should I do to troubleshoot such an intermittant problem before taking the drastic reinstallation advice? Given the hit or miss internet connectivity (which blocks windows update at least half the time from even checking) I don't see how I could be sure of being able to properly update windows back to post service pack 2 status after a reionstall.

You know you can 'acquire' a version which has all that activation bollocks 'deactivated' *ahem, ahem*
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
      You know you can 'acquire' a version which has all that activation bollocks 'deactivated' *ahem, ahem*
      sounds like it would be worthwhile, and since I already own the thing even technically legal, but how could you aquire it in such a way as to be certain it's not really a trojan or worm program being passed off as a 'version' of win xp?

Comment

Virus scanner?

My friends gave me an acquired and fixed copy of WinXP. My virus scanner says it's a trojan, but I'm pretty sure my friends installed it without problems...

If games run stable it seems likely that the system is mostly stable and the problems are likely rooted in windows. Altough the network card/modem might be dodgy, what happens when you ping stuff? like ping www.google.com -n 1000 ?

Comment

Never had to scrap it, except for when I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows XP x64.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I have been scrapping Windows XP on my friends' computers, because they don't need it, and they constantly have problems with slimeware and malware.

So far they are quite happy with Linux.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Don't ok..the both of you, don't even think of it!
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                I have been scrapping Windows XP on my friends' computers, because they don't need it, and they constantly have problems with slimeware and malware.

So far they are quite happy with Linux.
                IIRC all games that rely on direct x won't work at all under linux right?

Comment

Ok, I guess what I really need to know is how to tell if I need to reinstall the operating system, and how I can get it back up to date after such an install without knowing all the updates that I have applied and with no guarentee of internet access after the reinstall.

Windows XP support guys say you need to do it after any major hardware upgrade and I'm finding it hard to believe there is no other way to fix any instability in the current install.

edit - I should also add that I've noticed a default windows error tone everytime the computer boots up as soon as the desktop background becomes visible. I can't see any error message associated with it however.
                  Last edited by Geronimo; September 25, 2005, 18:18.

Comment

Working...
                  X