X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can someone please give me a reason to believe in a personal god

Originally posted by johncmcleod
    I want to.
    That's the foundation of all your problems.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
      Sometimes I wonder if faith has a genetic component. Like a conscience, some people are just born without it.
      Maybe someone else has replied to this already (I've not read the thread), but I have read somewhere in an article that there is a part of the brain that triggers religious zeal. Odd enough that also pertains to football fans for example or other heavy fanatics. It's just coincidences and unforeseeable things in life that make that these people who are susceptible to spiritualism or fanaticism will praise a god, or on the other hand support a football team. So basically all these god-believers could very well be football zealots instead.

and that shows once again how silly it is to really believe there's a god
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

beingofone:

Would I be right in thinking that you don't see the bible so much as a book about God but more a book that shows good wisdom in how to go about your life?

Very interesting with the mentioning of transcendence. Always had a particular interest in this aspect but never really followed this interest through with any actual reading. Do you mind imparting any readings of particular note?

Comment

Re: Re: Can someone please give me a reason to believe in a personal god

Originally posted by Last Conformist quote:

Originally posted by johncmcleod
          I want to.

That's the foundation of all your problems.
          or maybe the foundation of his answer?
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
            beingofone:

Would I be right in thinking that you don't see the bible so much as a book about God but more a book that shows good wisdom in how to go about your life?
            I think the scripture has been trashed because neither side (dogmatics or nontheists) understand its implication nor meaning.
            What the scripture is - it is a compilation of mens life and experience who encountered the inexplicable nonordinary reality of which they termed it God. If you read with an open mind you can see infantile thought (Moses) but at the same time transcending experience growing into expanded thought.
            When I say infantile I mean the entire Near East and the ancient world.
            When you read the teachings of Jesus you see perfect wisdom of how to live your life with the most value and self respect.

An example would be "love thy neighbor as thyself".
            1- How can I love myself?
            2- What is love?
            3- Who is my neighbor?

1- In order for me to love myself I must know who it is I am loving.
            2- Once I know who and what I am I know what love is.
            3- Once I know who I am I know who my neighbor is.

The scripture is often confused as being one 'book'. It is a collection of 'books'. If I were to suggest the single book that is the most profound in scripture it would have to be the Gospel of John.

Very interesting with the mentioning of transcendence. Always had a particular interest in this aspect but never really followed this interest through with any actual reading. Do you mind imparting any readings of particular note?
            This is my philosophy that has taken years to develop, I did not read it in any book tho I have taken many ideas from others - these are my conclusions based on experience and thought.

Suggested readings would be anything by Joel S. Goldsmith (The Infinite Way). A Christian mystic who also teaches from the wisdom of Tao and Buddhism.
            A really good book you can get at Amazon called 'Christ in You' by Anonymous.

I will attach some readings of Soren Kierkegaard and a couple of recently translated ancient scrolls from the Nag Hammadi find. I enjoyed these readings very much.

Good journey to you
            Namaste and maranatha
            Attached Files
            You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
            We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

Working...
            X