Can someone please give me a reason to believe in a personal god

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please give me a reason to believe in a personal god

I want to. But I can't. Maybe I am only getting the surface answers, but when I say, "Why did he create such a messed up world?" I get the same, poorly thought out answers.

The most common answer is 'Free will. It is better to love by choice.' This is illogical on so many different levels. First off, if God created the universe, that means he made all of the rules and all of the properties of it. If you are going to say 'free will is better' that is because God created it to be that way. He could have created the universe in a different way, where free will didn't matter. And on top of that, even if you give you the argument that free will is better (and the argument is fundamentally flawed) you still lose. Because not only did God give us free will, he made us really f$cked up. Study any psychology whatsoever and you'll figure that out. Humans are all messed up, its our nature, and we are filled with natural desires that are selfish, such as greed. Hitler didn't kill 6 million Jews because 'he had free choice.' That's silly. He didn't do that for the sake of having that choice. He did it because he is like other humans and wants power. And he had the ambition, charisma, and circumstances to gain it. And in order to gain power, he had to put the problems on the Jews. There are millions of examples like this. The point is the world is filled with evil, which doesn't exist only because there is free choice. It exists because humans are terribly flawed.

And then they'll answer with 'humans are evil because of Satan and original sin' or something. Then why the hell did God create Satan? Why didn't he just have paradise without him?

Some, such as C.S. Lewis, say God gave us suffering to teach us. There are so many flaws to that argument. One, it is inefficient. God is omnisicient. He could just instantly make us understand what we didn't understand before. Why would he use suffering when the other way would be so much easier? It makes him out to be real incompetent. The other problem is that it just doesn't work. Take the Holocaust. Millions of people are killed, and instead of saying to ourselves 'let's get rid of this war thing,' we build thousands of nuclear weapons. And genocide is still rampant in our world. It didn't teach us anything, and since God is omniscient, he would have known that before he let it happen and then thought 'maybe this won't work' and he'd stop it. What kind of butcher does this make out God to be? He has to allow millions to be killed to teach man a lesson? Why can't he just make the world understand? He has the power to do that. And how is that fair for all the people that died? Their lives are sacrificed to teach others so that the future world will be a better place? That isn't fair. Why can't those who are killed have the better place? Why would the future get it? And like I said before, if it takes you millions of deaths to teach people a lesson and make the world a better place, you are a crappy omniscient being.

I can believe that maybe there is a God but a God that doesn't really care about the physical world and only cares about the spiritual world, the heaven that you go to afterwards. That would explain why he allows humans to die and why he created such imperfect creatures in such an imperfect world. Because it just doesn't matter.

The first part of this problem is that in the Bible when God said his creation was good. The second problem is that if the physical doesn't matter, we might as well all kill ourselves. The third problem is then why are we here? Why did he create the physical world in the first place? Why didn't he solely create heaven? And why did he create anything at all? If he is a perfect, omniscient being, why would he need to create something? Anything he created wouldn't be as good as him.

The point is, however you look at it, the world is very flawed, the system that he supposedly created is very flawed, and if he did it for our own good, and had our good in mind, it would be better and perfect. Even to say that 'being perfect is imperfect, therefore we have to be imperfect. That is perfect.' is flawed because what you call perfect is imperfect and could be better.

This of course is just the beginning of the problems I have with the personal God. And I haven't even gotten good answers for them.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

You should listen to Johnny Cash's version of "Personal Jesus." It will clearly show you that there is a personal God, and that God is Johnny Cash.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

None. Pantheism can have just the same spirituality, without the crutch of a personal god or an afterlife.

I laugh at theists who think that it would be horrible if life had no set purpose, or if there wasn't an afterlife. So close-minded.
      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if faith has a genetic component. Like a conscience, some people are just born without it.

Comment

I don't have a link, but I recall an article saying that there is a part of the brain that seems to be related to spirituality.

I would not be seriously suprised at all if faith was purely a biological response - it does seem advantagous for morale. ...so you could say that atheism is a disability. Nor would I be suprised if eventually there is a pill that would make one more spiritual.
          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Here's my theory: each of us is trapped in a cosmic RPG being played by God. The thing is, God's no power-gamer -- how lame would that be? -- so he's created balanced characters that are fun for him to play, like his chaotic evil Hitler character with high charisma and intelligence but really low wisdom. Like any gamer, sometimes God really cares about the game, but sometimes he's kind of distracted and screws up. Heck, sometimes he plays it stoned, working the controls with one hand while eating Mallomars with the other, and a couple of times he even got called away and forgot to pause, so the game kept going without him.

In the end, it's important thing to remember that it's not about us -- the important thing is that God is having fun.

And me? I can absolutely believe in such a God; I just can't bring myself to worship him.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You are still thinking of God and his creation as different , aren't you ?

I have a request to make of you - read this ( specially the part on Raja Yoga in the first volume ) .

Comment

Here's a question for the religiously-minded.

Which do you find more personally offensive and/or socially dangerous:

1) the belief that there is no God

2) the belief that God created the universe/started the ball rolling, but doesn't judge his creations, and there is no afterlife?

Comment

This is a good thread...some interesting ideas.

I especially like God's RPG game
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Well....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                        This is a good thread...some interesting ideas.

I especially like God's RPG game
                        I forgot to mention the most notable part of the game: most of us are NPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                          I forgot to mention the most notable part of the game: most of us are NPCs.
                          Aw, man.

Well, as long as this NPC can have another beer...
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie

Aw, man.

Well, as long as this NPC can have another beer...
                            Dude, you're programmed to have another beer...

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              Dude, you're programmed to have another beer...
                              And here I thought I was an atheist!

I love you, god.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                              X