Senate Judiciary Committee sends Roberts before the full Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramo
    Interesting breakdown. I expected Kohl to vote for Roberts, but I also expected Feinstein and Biden to join him rather than Feingold (mah boy in '08) and Leahy.
    Feinstein and Biden come from blue states (California and Delaware) and so they have nothing to gain by voting yes. On the other hand they can shore up their base by voting no. Fiengold is a member of the centrist 14 who argeed to not filibuster a candidate unless he was especially objectionable. Roberts smells like rotten fish and is a partisan hack but he isn't Adolf Hitler so Feingold will vote yes.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A guy who's opposed to equal rights for women, in favor of subordinating civil society to religious dictates, and who postures as one of the beleagured masses when he's actually the scion of a wealthy oil family?

Sounds like a GOP nominee to me...

...Roberts smells like rotten fish and is a partisan hack but he isn't Adolf Hitler so Feingold will vote yes.

--sigh--
      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Feinstein and Biden come from blue states (California and Delaware) and so they have nothing to gain by voting yes. On the other hand they can shore up their base by voting no. Fiengold is a member of the centrist 14 who argeed to not filibuster a candidate unless he was especially objectionable. Roberts smells like rotten fish and is a partisan hack but he isn't Adolf Hitler so Feingold will vote yes.

Feinstein and Biden are both moderates and often vote against the Dem base. Feingold and Leahy are both liberals (and also from moderately Blue states - obviously Leahy more than Feingold), and Feingold especially isn't apt to triangulating anyways (hell, he campaigned on his lone vote in the Senate against the Patriot Act). BTW, Feingold was not a member of the 14, and actually opposed their actions. He does, however, believe in giving the President some deference in appointments (for instance, he was the lone Democrat to confirm Ashcroft as AG).
        Last edited by Ramo; September 23, 2005, 04:16.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

The Democrats don't get to make nominations at this time.
          Exactly -- which gives Republicans a great opportunity to nominate Bin Laden.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hes also against Christianity and America, I guess that makes him a moderate.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
              Hes also against Christianity and America, I guess that makes him a moderate.
              Well they are at least aligned to the same causes. Lib Baden
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
              X