Senate Judiciary Committee sends Roberts before the full Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Judiciary Committee sends Roberts before the full Senate

13-5 vote. I don't think there is any doubt that Roberts gets confirmed (unless a bombshell news story comes out).

September 22, 2005
    Senate Panel Endorses Roberts's Nomination as Chief Justice
    By DAVID STOUT

WASHINGTON, Sept. 22 - The Senate Judiciary Committee strongly endorsed Judge John G. Roberts Jr. today to be the next chief justice of the United States, sending the nomination to the full Senate for confirmation next week.

The 13-to-5 vote, with 3 Democrats joining the 10 Republicans on the committee, put Judge Roberts in line to succeed the man for whom he was once a clerk, the late William H. Rehnquist. Judge Roberts is only 50, so he could be chief justice for many years.

Senator Arlen Specter, the Pennsylvania Republican who heads the committee, said Judge Roberts "has a real sense for building consensus," a gift that will serve him well as he takes his place on a court that has often been sharply split.

Committee Republicans heaped praise on the nominee, for his undisputed intellectual acumen and for what they see as the proper role of a jurist. "He emphasizes the importance of modesty and humility in the role of a justice," said Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa.

The Democrats who backed Judge Roberts were generally more restrained. Senator Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont, the ranking minority member on the panel, said that despite his vote in favor of the nominee he was very disappointed in him for not being more forthcoming and with the White House for not consulting more with the Senate.

Another Democrat who voted "yes," Senator Herb Kohl of Wisconsin, said he had been persuaded because of the nominee's "sterling reputation as a lawyer and a judge" and was therefore voting with "my hopes, not my fears." Senator Russell D. Feingold, a Democrat also from Wisconsin, said he was voting yes because he considered the nominee "a lawyer's lawyer," not an ideologue.

Judge Roberts has "a record that few could top," Mr. Feingold said. But the senator said he still differed with some of the judge's views, and that the judge was not as frank with the committee as he should have been.

Voting against Judge Roberts were Senators Dianne Feinstein of California, Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts, Joseph R. Biden of Delaware, Charles E. Schumer of New York and Richard J. Durbin of Illinois..

Senator Feinstein, who supports abortion rights, said the nominee had not provided enough information on how he feels about important issues. "I cannot in good conscious cast a 'yea' vote," she said.

Mr. Kennedy said Judge Roberts had displayed "a cramped, narrow view" of civil rights law and had declined repeated opportunities to clarify his views on the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which Mr. Kennedy said the Reagan White House tried to weaken when the nominee was a young lawyer in the administration.

Senator Jon Kyl, Republican of Arizona, sharply disagreed with Mr. Kennedy and said any objective look at the transcripts of the hearing would show how wrong Mr. Kennedy was. The judge "richly deserves" confirmation, Mr. Kyl said.

Mr. Biden said he had agonized over his decision, which he called "a very close call, a very close call." The senator said he had not been persuaded that Judge Roberts was sufficiently committed to rights of privacy, particularly on "right to die" issues. "I must regretfully vote no," Mr. Biden said.

Mr. Schumer said he, too, regretted that he had to vote no. The senator said the nominee had failed to answer the most vital question of all - "Who is Judge Roberts?" - and that there was "a reasonable danger" Judge Roberts could become a jurist bent on changing America through the courts, as conservative Republicans have been intent on doing, in Mr. Schumer's view.

Mr. Durbin said he had given the nominee "a clean slate." But, the senator said, "At the end of the process, sadly, it was mostly an empty slate." The judge had failed to allay concerns on how he would rule on workers' rights, women's rights, environmental issues and other crucial matters, Mr. Durbin said.

Republicans on and off the Judiciary Committee have been unanimous in calling the nominee a brilliant jurist. That description has also been embraced by Democrats, even those who oppose him because, they say, he was not candid enough in committee hearings and had shown an insensitivity to civil rights issues as a young lawyer in the Reagan administration.

The remaining Republicans on the Judiciary Committee are Senators Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, Mike DeWine of Ohio, Jeff Sessions of Alabama, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, John Cornyn of Texas, Sam Brownback of Kansas and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma.

Because there are 55 Republicans in the Senate, and several Democrats not on the Judiciary Committee have either said they will vote for Judge Roberts or are leaning that way, confirmation is assured. Judge Roberts, who now sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, will sit as chief justice when the Supreme Court reconvenes in early October. But whether he will preside over a full court is still not clear.

President Bush originally nominated Judge Roberts to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who has announced her retirement. But when Chief Justice Rehnquist died on Sept. 3, the president renominated Judge Roberts to be chief justice.

Chief Justice Rehnquist was a conservative jurist. Judge Roberts is also a conservative, so his elevation to the Supreme Court will not change the tribunal's balance. But Justice O'Connor was regarded as a "swing" justice, between the court's conservative and liberal blocks, so whoever is nominated to succeed her will draw intense scrutiny - and no doubt opposition from some Democrats who do not want the court to turn to the right.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

No real surprise there.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yep, as predicted
      I'm sure O'Connor's replacement will be in for a huge fight.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Especially if he nominates Priscilla Owens, which is a name I heard seriously bandied. That woman is borderline psychotic. Should shouldn't have been apporved for e Federal judgeship in the first place, let alone considered for putting on the SCOTUS.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

But maybe that's the plan. Put up the psycho just to let them get the taste of blood, then go after who they really want.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I thought of that too.

Comment

After a few psychos they can start claiming partisian obstructionism and threaten to change the rules again.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Interesting breakdown. I expected Kohl to vote for Roberts, but I also expected Feinstein and Biden to join him rather than Feingold (mah boy in '08) and Leahy.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                  But maybe that's the plan. Put up the psycho just to let them get the taste of blood, then go after who they really want.
                  I keep hearing Luttigs name bandied about.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Luttig is only marginally superior.
                    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

We could lure Osama Bin Laden out of his cave with the promise of a Supreme Court nomination.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        We could lure Osama Bin Laden out of his cave with the promise of a Supreme Court nomination.
                        The Democrats don't get to make nominations at this time.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

A guy who's opposed to equal rights for women, in favor of subordinating civil society to religious dictates, and who postures as one of the beleagured masses when he's actually the scion of a wealthy oil family?

Sounds like a GOP nominee to me...
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              Yep, as predicted
                              I'm sure O'Connor's replacement will be in for a huge fight.
                              It depends on if Bush sends up an asshat or not. Roberts is just highly ideological and partisan but not a total asshat but if, as widely believed, Bush attempts to send up a wingnut to make the religious right happy then you can expect the Democrats and the team of 14 to fillibuster. Letting Roberts through is basically a nod to the team of 14 so they can save their ammo for a really objectionable candidate.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X