US House Price Bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US House Price Bubble?

Attached is an interesting graph from the IMF about the US real estate market. In short, some states are experiencing house price booms and some not. Nevada, Hawaii, California, DC, Arizona, Florida, Maryland and Virginia are experiencing booms. Are these booms creating a bubble nationwide?

Keep in mind the rule that as interest rates rise, asset prices (f.e., house prices) fall. And interest rates are rising.

In my area, the city of DC is experiencing a boom, but I would argue that it's not much of a bubble. It is due more to the fact that the city's real estate prices have been depressed for a long time due to corruption, violence, and other crime. Add in the fact that the Washington, DC metro area is growing quickly (now about 6 million people) and has a stable and growing economy and it is my opinion that these prices can be sustained.

Virginia and Maryland are in something of the same boat. They benefit from the growth in the Washington metro area. However, the prices in those locales have not been depressed. I expect house prices cannot be sustained in VA and MD, although I think they won't go down too much.

What about in your area?

I note that some of these areas are historically boom-bust anyways. Hawaii has been bust for a while, so I'm not surprised to see a little boom. California has been boom for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a big bust.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanS; September 21, 2005, 12:40.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

You forgot to mention Rhode Island (sitting between MD and VA)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I didn't mean it to be a comprehensive recital. Besides, nobody lives in Rhode Island anyway.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Or you just didn't mean to reveal that you don't know all 50 states of your own country.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Funny, because you managed to be, with the sole exception of RI

Don't forget the little guys...

Emeril is from RI, you know.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't think it is a boom. Areas RE goes up in areas where people want to be. I would only think there are bubbles if the price is going up and the population is staying the same. Supply and Demand... right?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

That's a useful way of looking at RE, but there are other factors. In DC, it's a switch in the mix of residents. More rich people and fewer poor people. White reverse-flight. The population might even be going down very slightly.

Comment

I think the areas that are experience the increase in housing prices are also seeing an influx of residents and buisness which would see an increase the rich ppl as well.

Also note that most of those states are coastal (which RE ppl love) or are states with great tax advantages for corporations, and no sales tax!
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Three states among the group (DC, MD, and VA) are growing in large part because federal government spending is growing. The taxes in DC at least are quite high (trust me on this), although the politicians have become much more business-friendly lately. While VA and MD are coastal states, I think most of their increase is due to the growth of the DC metro area.

Comment

Ok, Dan, what are the implications of the "bubble burtsting" for a Wisconsin (#13 on the chart) home and investment property owner like myself? Take into consideration that I am looking to either build a new home (to raise my gowing family) or expand my business.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Actually, Wisconsin is #25 on the chart. Probably not too much upheaval in that market, just don't get too carried away by doing something that would harm you if the home prices don't go up for several years. Plan for a good investing environment a couple years down the road, as prices level off. Also, after a couple more interest rate rises (a couple of months), make sure that the rents you are charging aren't below market.

Comment

Most of the housing price inflation is going on in northwest AR.

There, the problem is, builders are only building high-income housing, since they make the most profit off selling rich homes to rich people.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

And interest rates are rising.
                          Are you talking about the actual mortgage rates or just the rate set by the FOMC? Bond rates have been staying put despite the rising fed funds rate, for instance.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

That's interesting -- 4 out of the top 5 states there are located within the sun belt.

Comment

The median housing price in Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) is $285,000 . . . or at least it was so reported in the Sun-Sentinal this August.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X