computer and satellite help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer and satellite help needed

How do I transfer a program to another hard drive? I'm trying to keep all my stuff except XP on a 2nd drive so that when I need to re-format I don't lose the stuff on the first drive. I've got some problem with XP that keeps making it unstable as time goes by and the last time I had to format the drive to get XP working again. I dont want to keep re-installing civ 2

Satellite help - we have direct TV and I'm thinking about moving a box to another room about 40-50 ft away. So I'll need a long cable, but wont that hurt the signal strength? We have long cables going to another box without any problem, but the cable from the box to the tv is short.

thx

When you install a program, it writes some stuff about where it sits on the disk in the registry. Many programs depend on these entries being correct and thus will not work if you move them. You will have to reinstall them, this time on drive 2.

Not Civ 2 though . You can just cut its folder from drive 1 and and paste it in drive 2. It will work.

Comment

You can't move Windows programs to another location without re-installation. This has to do with the registry. There are a number of exceptions of course, but there is no step-by-step procedure you can follow to move these programs around without hassles.

When you format your system drive to re-install Windows, you wipe out the registry. Which means you need to install most if not all your programs again anyway.

Still, you get to retain your own data intact, which is a good reason to partition your computer this way.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You can export and import the registry.

But if you have a persistent problem that has you periodically reinstalling Windows a better solution is making installation images with Ghost or some such and then recovering from them. It's faster than reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
          You can export and import the registry.
          Yes, but the registry is one of the main cause of Windows problems.

Originally posted by VetLegion
          But if you have a persistent problem that has you periodically reinstalling Windows a better solution is making installation images with Ghost or some such and then recovering from them. It's faster than reinstall.
          Yeah, esp now you need tons of security patches that it would be easier to restore a bit image of a "good copy."
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So I'll need a long cable, but wont that hurt the signal strength?
            Mine is 20m and I have no Problems with it.
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Make an image of your system (on one of it's good days) to the other drive. When you have problems switch the cables so that your backup drive is (now) c:\.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I have another question, I'm using Avant as my main browser and the scroll button is the same white color as the box it slides up and down in. Makes it tough to find the scroll button, how do I color the button or the sliding box? In fact, the bottom border is white too and it used to be a different color.

Comment

Avast is an IE shell and IE is very unsecure. It could well be that all the problems you have are caused by something you catch with your browser, and that you have now cought something again.

Opera is free now, give it a try
                  Or Firefox.

Comment

oh well, Opera crashed the first time I used it. Avant works pretty good, but the problem has to be with windows xp. There has to be a setting for the appearance of the scroller. WHY IS EVERYTHING WHITE? Strangely, I can see the scroller at Poly, but its a pale gray

Comment

Opera crashed the first time I used it.

That's no excuse. www.opera.com.

Comment

I have it, but the problem I'm having with XP effects Opera worse than Avant.

Comment

In which way?

How does the problem you have manifest itself?

Comment

I keep getting error messages as my browsers crash, Opera did it right away. Avant is more stable, but I think I made an adjustment to the appearance and screwed it up

Comment

I give up. Diagnosing a problem this way is too difficult.

My suggestion: install new version od Opera or Firefox. Whichever works, keep.

Comment

Working...
                              X