Risk neutrality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    A philosopher and an economist arguing over the futility of each other's disciplines.

I don't really care who wins, as long as they both get hurt.
    So what's your objection?
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Nothing. Please continue.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Although I guess I have to side with the economists here. As fuzzy as their reasoning is on many occasions, they at least have some form of testability.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Come on, Adam. You know I love you. It's just fun to tweak your tail sometimes...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            No. I just think it is a pseudo subject as it is conducted at present. A decent economics would look at what people actually do, rather than making ridiculous assumptions about rational action.

Some do the former, but not nearly enough.
            Oh SNAP! A philosophy instructor calling another subject a pseudo-subject and slighting its usefulness.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I agree with UR, most of economics is voodoo; Basically classical liberalist philosophy made to sound scientific.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                I agree with UR, most of economics is voodoo; Basically classical liberalist philosophy made to sound scientific.
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                  So Marx was a classical liberal?

(Pssst... he was an economist too)
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This guy is my accountant!
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Just read this, some relation to topic:

Off your rocker and in the money
                      Researchers find link between brain flaws and market success.

September 19, 2005: 9:00 AM EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - "Wanted: psychopaths to make a killing in the markets".

Such an advertisement will not be appearing in the world's newspapers any time soon, but it may have a ring of truth after research revealed the best wheeler-dealers could well be "functional psychopaths".

A team of U.S. scientists has found the emotionally impaired are more willing to gamble for high stakes and that people with brain damage may make good financial decisions, the Times newspaper reported on Monday.

In a study of investors' behavior 41 people with normal IQs were asked to play a simple investment game. Fifteen of the group had suffered lesions on the areas of the brain that affect emotions.

The result was those with brain damage outperformed those without.

The scientists found emotions led some of the group to avoid risks even when the potential benefits far outweighed the losses, a phenomenon known as myopic loss aversion.

One of the researchers, Antione Bechara, an associate professor of neurology at the University of Iowa, said the best stock market investors might plausibly be called "functional psychopaths."

Fellow author, Baba Shiv of Stanford Graduate School of Business said many company chiefs and top lawyers may also show they share the same trait.

"Emotions serve an adaptive role in speeding up the decision-making process," said Shiv.

"However, there are circumstances in which a naturally occurring emotional response must be inhibited, so that a deliberate and potentially wiser decision can be made."

The study, published in June in the journal Psychological Science, was conducted by a team of researchers from Stanford University, Carnegie Mellon University, and the University of Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                      X