McAfee Security Center and Alteratives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee Security Center and Alteratives

For about two years I've been using McAfee Security Center for virus protection and cookies control.

Apparently there are alteratives. Such as ZoneAlarm (got the name right?)

what do you use on your computer?

Personally I like McAfee's feature in which whenever I visit a website for the first time it askes me if I wish to allow that site to set a cookie on my computer or not. That way I knows whenever a site is putting a cookie on my computer and I can block it if I wish.
    Who is Barinthus?

Re: McAfee Security Center and Alteratives

Originally posted by Barinthus
    For about two years I've been using McAfee Security Center for virus protection and cookies control.

Apparently there are alteratives....
    what do you use on your computer?
    OS X.

I liked Norton SystemWorks - probably not as hands-on intensive as McAfee, but I liked its features.

Comment

zone alarm
      AVG for virus protection
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I use Sygate Personal Firewall and AVG free for anti-virus. And Firefox for internet, ofcourse.

My laptop came with norton but I uninstalled it when I discovered it devolves into full-blown malware when the subscription runs out. The uninstallation seems to have been successful.

Comment

I haven't used a virus scanner for ages and don't have any problems so far (touches wood)

Firefox has a nice cookie control feature that you can enable. It's under "Privacy." You can also set IE to inform you about cookies, but of course it doesn't tell you anything about the cookies so you have no idea whether to allow them or not.

ZoneAlarm is an application level firewall. You need that if you have a naked PC (not behind a LAN) on the Internet.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

My laptop came with norton but I uninstalled it when I discovered it devolves into full-blown malware when the subscription runs out. The uninstallation seems to have been successful.
            I've also been disappointed with Norton. They stopped providing virus updates for my version of their virus scanner, now I'm supposed to buy a whole new version. What advantages does the new version offer? None that I could find.
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

AVG is free and does the job very well (it's sponsered by Intel btw).
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

AVG is ?
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Something I want to know, why do people use Zone Alarm?

Sygate Personal Firewall is so much better. In particular it does a much better job of monitoring out-going connections, this makes it a piece of cake to detect viruses, trojans or spyware trying to do naughty things with the net connection. SPF also has much better logging and such. And to boot it has cool traffic graphs. A really fantastic and complete firewall considering it's free.

Do people who use Zone Alarm actually like it, or just never tried the alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                    AVG is ?
                    Don't take 'sponsered' to literally, mkay.

Download free antivirus and malware protection. Tune up your PC, Mac, & Android. Encrypt your connection and browse anonymously with a VPN.

Comment

Thanks

Also why isn't Windows' firewall good enough? Is there a reason to go with some other firewall as opposite to using XP's own firewall?
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Windows only checks incoming traffic, something like that. Really not my field of expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                          Sygate Personal Firewall is so much better. In particular it does a much better job of monitoring out-going connections, this makes it a piece of cake to detect viruses, trojans or spyware trying to do naughty things with the net connection.
                          I never had a problem with Zone Alarm detecting outgoing connections, I also like the way it stealths your IP. Plus, it is an application level firewall. I have never used Sygate so I can't tell.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                          X