Brits storm Basra prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

liberation forces

Depending on your ideological slant they could have been "liberation forces" prior to the Ba'athist fall (though I would have preferred to use the term "invasion forces" as being less value-laden).

To call them "liberation forces" now is the height of silliness. They're occupiers. So were the Allies once Germany surrendered. Nothing wrong with that.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
      That's a tricky legal issue. If you wear a uniform under something, are you still in uniform? I think not, because the whole point of being uniformed is to be easily distinguished.
      only if you have something clearly visible like an armband on, and only if we're talking about the Geneva Convention. Angry Brits with 30mm cannons pointed at you is somewhat different anyway, they knew who these guys were, I have reason to doubt the whole "they shot two of our guys and killed one but we still captured them both alive and unharmed" story.

Comment

The lads who almost lost there lives in this incident are of the Staffords.

The Staffords are among the best most professional troops in the world, they could have caused massive destruction during the incident but their training denoted there superb and brave actions!

I hail from Staffordshire home county of the Staffords and Im rather proud of the lads and all the good work they do, not only in Iraq but in trouble spots all over the world.
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          liberation forces

Depending on your ideological slant they could have been "liberation forces" prior to the Ba'athist fall (though I would have preferred to use the term "invasion forces" as being less value-laden).

To call them "liberation forces" now is the height of silliness. They're occupiers. So were the Allies once Germany surrendered. Nothing wrong with that.
          I quite agree that after they had liberated, the became occupants - still, the notion gives some reactions

Just one question - how can "invasion forces" be less value laden than "liberation forces" ? In my mind the first is worse than the second.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Gee, I thought in the new world order "soldiers" operating w/o clearly marked uniforms got shipped to Gitmo and are not protected under the Geneva Con.

IO guess the double standard applies when the special forces are "us" and their victims are... well, technically they're "us" too...

In the British defense, sometimes walls just fall down. I (vaguely) remember a frat party I attended back in '82 when an apparently solid wall collapsed by accident, resulting in several injuries (the most serious of which was a broken arm, belonging to a guest who turned out to be a minor...) Anyway, these things do happen.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

You read the part about the SOFA giving the Coalition Carte Blanche and the Iraqi government agreeing to this, right?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                w3rd
                Might makes right, eh?

I don't see how you could have problems with the PRC allegedly beating up Tibetans.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ur, i think you should head to the clue shop, i hear there's a sale on.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                  X