Revisiting Face Transplant Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting Face Transplant Surgery

We had another thread on this a few months, ago, but it looks like it's going to go down this time.

People are currently having their faces reconstructed, and often from other parts of their body, often going in for dozens of surgeries to try and get their faces healed after bad accidents, or in one case, when a little boy had his face chewed off by a dog.

The board's decision didn't have to be unanimous. But in the end, it was.

Surgeons wished they could have done a transplant six years ago, when a 2-year-old boy attacked by a pit bull dog was brought to the University of Texas in Dallas where Dr. Karol Gutowski was training.

Other doctors had tried to reattach part of the boy's mauled face but it didn't take. The Texas surgeons did five skin grafts in a bloody, 28-hour surgery. Muscles from the boy's thigh were moved to around his mouth. Part of his abdomen became the lower part of his face. Two forearm sections became lips and mouth.

"He'll never be normal," said Gutowski, now a reconstructive surgeon at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Surviving such wounds can be "life by 1,000 cuts." Patients endure dozens of operations to graft skin inch-by-inch from their backs, arms, buttocks and legs. Only small amounts can be taken at a time because of bleeding.

Surgeons often return to the same areas every few weeks, reopening old wounds and building up skin. Years later, many patients are still having surgeries. A face transplant -- applying a sheet of skin in one operation -- could be a better solution.

Despite its shock factor, it involves routine microsurgery. One or two pairs of veins and arteries on either side of the face would be connected from the donor tissue to the recipient. About 20 nerve endings would be stitched together to try to restore sensation and movement. Tiny sutures would anchor the new tissue to the recipient's scalp and neck, and areas around the eyes, nose and mouth.

Personally, I support this surgery 100%.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

indeed.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Self biased taking pity on my lonely thread

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Pity.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Modern medicine.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I support that, and cultured and artificial skin.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Fascinating.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

So would we have face doners?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Personally I'm auctioning mine off to the highest bidder.

Wrinkly azz Ted Striker with liver spots and sun damage.

Comment

There's currently an advertising campaign being run by a U.K. charity called 'Changing Faces'- it has posters on sites across London featuring people who've had traumatic injuries to their faces, or have diseases affecting their faces, either the bone or skin and tissue.

'Don't let the way I look affect the way you see me.'
                    is what they put on the posters.

We are here to help everyone in the UK who has a visible difference, a scar, mark or condition on their face or body that makes them look different.

It's not simply prosthetics and radical surgery that's required...
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Revisiting Face Transplant Surgery

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Personally, I support this surgery 100%.
                      And with a face like yours, no wonder...
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                      X