Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBM to encourage employees to be teachers (and leave IBM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM to encourage employees to be teachers (and leave IBM)

Breaking News, data & opinions in business, sports, entertainment, travel, lifestyle, plus much more. Newsday.com is the leading news source for Long Island & NYC.

IBM to Encourage Employees to Be Teachers

Email this story
    Printer friendly format

By BRIAN BERGSTEIN
    AP Technology Writer

September 16, 2005, 3:06 PM EDT

International Business Machines Corp., worried the United States is losing its competitive edge, will financially back employees who want to leave the company to become math and science teachers.

The new program, being announced Friday in concert with city and state education officials, reflects tech industry fears that U.S. students are falling behind peers from Bangalore to Beijing in the sciences.

Up to 100 IBM employees will be eligible for the program in its trial phase. Eventually, Big Blue hopes many more of its tech savvy employees -- and those in other companies -- will follow suit.

The goal is to help fill shortfalls in the nation's teaching ranks, a problem expected to grow with the retirement of today's educators.

Math and science are of particular concern to companies in many U.S. industries that expect to need technical workers but see low test scores in those subjects and waning interest in science careers.

"Over a quarter-million math and science teachers are needed, and it's hard to tell where the pipeline is," said Stanley Litow, head of the IBM Foundation, the Armonk, N.Y.-based company's community service wing. "That is like a ticking time bomb not just for technology companies, but for business and the U.S. economy."

While many companies encourage their employees to tutor schoolchildren or do other things to get involved in education, IBM believes it is the first to guide workers toward switching into a teaching career.

The company expects older workers nearing retirement to be the most likely candidates, partly because they would have more financial wherewithal to take the pay cut that becoming a teacher likely would entail.

The workers would have to get approval from their managers to participate. If selected, the employees would be allowed to take a leave of absence from the company, which includes full benefits and up to half their salary, depending on length of service.

In addition, the employees could get up to $15,000 in tuition reimbursements and stipends while they seek teaching credentials and begin student-teaching.

From then on, the IBM people would become school employees -- the program will encourage them to work in public schools but they can go private if they wish -- and leave Big Blue's payroll. But IBM plans to offer a mentoring program that would give its former workers guidance and teaching materials over the Internet.

"It's not an easy transition to make," said Litow, a former deputy schools chancellor in New York City.
    Wow.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

This is just another word for layoffs. Hmm, we have to figure out a way to get rid of our more expensive older workers, but not get busted for age discrimination........
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Considering it's voluntary and requires management approval, I don't see how you can paint it in a bad light.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

IBM does a lot of cool "wow" things...

How do you guys make money if you're doing all this stuff instead?
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Profit margins on IBM Software are 90%-ish...

Comment

We are due up for a massive skilled worker shortage over the next 10 years, and the retirement ranks are going to swell. This shortage is already seen with nurses.

This will take place for about the next 15 years, until the next generation of American kids get through college. Currently there is a population swell of kids, there are more kids in school than ever.

My prediction: we are going to start taking H1-B immigrants for TEACHERS.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
              We are due up for a massive skilled worker shortage over the next 10 years, and the retirement ranks are going to swell. This shortage is already seen with nurses.

This will take place for about the next 15 years, until the next generation of American kids get through college. Currently there is a population swell of kids, there are more kids in school than ever.

We are also falling behind in Ph.Ds....

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
                This is just another word for layoffs. Hmm, we have to figure out a way to get rid of our more expensive older workers, but not get busted for age discrimination........
                My thought exactly.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Immigrant teachers with herpes? That's really going to complicate the hot teacher sleeps with 14 year old student trend methinks.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                    IBM does a lot of cool "wow" things...

How do you guys make money if you're doing all this stuff instead?
                    It creates good karma, which enhances employees' productivity.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

That's aiming high. Based on the evidence I've seen the average high school teacher is the intellectual superior of an IBM employee.

And you know what I think of teachers....
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

This is absolutely brilliant - they get ready recruits from the creme of the crop of the American education system as employees , while other students ( who don't go work for IBM ) get a great education .

This initiative of IBM's :

Comment

Originally posted by Colon

It creates good karma, which enhances employees' productivity.
                          Funnily enough , judging by the type of people who work at IBM , that's not too far from the truth .

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            That's aiming high. Based on the evidence I've seen the average high school teacher is the intellectual superior of an IBM employee.

And you know what I think of teachers....
                            I guess that's why IBM has changed the world substantially over the past 50 years and philosophy instructors at universities have done so much more.

Comment

"IBM has changed the world substantially"

Asher, we agreed that this was a cool idea, but now you're starting to take things bigger than they really are.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X