I Don't Know How I'm Connected to the Internet Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Know How I'm Connected to the Internet Right Now

So earlier today my D-Link Wireless Router gave me trouble, and nothing I could do would fix it, until at long last I finally got a wireless signal - albeit extremely weak...then it disappeared. Anyway, I finally went to Best Buy and bought another wireless router. I unplug my old router, turn on my computer and open up the Setup CD. Then I noticed that Mail was showing 2 new messages...out of curiosity, I opened it, then decided to open Firefox.

Somehow, my computer is accessing the Internet. I check out AirPort, and it is showing me connected to Home, my old wireless network that I had through the D-Link. But how is this possible? My old router isn't even plugged in to anything, it is sitting with the power cord on my floor, dead. My Verizon DSL Modem doesn't have any kind of built-in wireless ability as far as I can tell (I've got the Fujitsu Speedport modem Verizon provided). It is plugged into the phone outlet, and to the AC outlet, but that is it. My computer has the power cord and a USB cable to the printer.

I mean, as far as I can tell, this should be impossible, right? It isn't like I latched on to someone else's network.

Hell, I just unplugged my DSL modem and I can still access the internet.

Surely I must somehow be on someone else's network?

Comment

I always said that Bluetooth penis implant would come in handy.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Milk it
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The people nextdoor don't have wireless internet too do they?

Comment

You dirty sod.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
              The people nextdoor don't have wireless internet too do they?
              Well what I don't understand is that AirPort shows me connected to "Home", a network I set up. Furthermore, I've run an AirPort Radar widget which is supposed to scan for nearby wireless networks, and it never found anything.

So, DSL modem turned off, wireless router not plugged in...

Besides, my neighbors are not ones I'd expect to have wireless anything.

Comment

OMG YUOR N0T ON TEH INTERNET, YUR ON TEH INTARWEBS!
                B♭3

Comment

Home is a default name 1 300 000 households use

Comment

And it doesn't have to be next door, it can be across the street, sometimes you can get weird connections with places kilometers away, though those usually don't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                      Home is a default name 1 300 000 households use
                      No, MSHOME is the default name - in fact, it used to be ours as well. I created a new network a month or so ago called Home after the network went down.

Comment

Tsk. MSHOME is the default workgroup name of your network, not the default name of your wireless network connection.
                        B♭3

Comment

Oh well.

What is interesting, is when I type in my IP address to access my router, it shows up as a DI-514, and not a 624 which I have. Now, I don't know if it always did that, but this is odd, considering that my D-Link router is not plugged in anymore, I have my new Netgear.

Comment

It's a miracle! Praize the Lord!
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Don't be a moran.

Comment

Working...
                              X