MS Office 12/2006 gets radically new interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Office 12/2006 gets radically new interface

With the next version of Office--currently dubbed Office 12--Microsoft plans to change the user interface to better fit the task a person is performing.

"This new user interface is designed around the ways people actually think and work," Group Product Manager Dan Leach told me in a post-PDC 2005 keynote briefing. In the Office 12 products, which will ship alongside Windows Vista in late 2006, the familiar menu and toolbars have been replaced with tabs and user interface elements called galleries, which bundled related functionality together. For example, in Microsoft Word 12, tabs such as Write, Insert, Page Layout, References, Mailings, and Review are arrayed along the top of the window. When you perform certain tasks, such as inserting an image, new tabs appear as needed. And each tab exposes a range of galleries.

In his keynote address, Gates noted that the change was needed because Office has become so feature-packed. A menu-and-toolbar UI worked fine when Office products like Word utilized only 100 commands, as the first version did 20 years ago. But Word 2003 features over 1500 commands and includes a whopping 35 toolbars as a result. Clearly, the old way of doing things is outdated.

Office 12 will run on both Windows XP and Windows Vista, Microsoft says

Also, graphics have been improved (autoshapes, word art, excel graphs, etc)

Some large images: http://www.neowin.net/staff/creamhac...e12/word12.jpg

News, Reviews & Betas which includes large community peer support

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Also, there's optionally a new alt-tab behavior in the latest Windows Vista builds:

It "flips" through the windows and views them from an angle.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

why dont they also add a big "virtual hand" moving the windows around?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

That Alt-Tab looks tight.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

useless stuff to drain my computer resources and make me buy a new graphics card

will they have a google-level file search? or is that too hard to code?

Comment

Looks sweet!
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              useless stuff to drain my computer resources and make me buy a new graphics card

will they have a google-level file search? or is that too hard to code?
              There are 3 levels of graphics settings -- you can revert to the standard GDI+/Windows XP-style graphics if you want to or don't have the hardware for Aero.

And yes, Desktop Search will be integrated.

Your "too hard to code" comment is classic, because you still can't fix Poly code...

Comment

Good point about the search. I had to install Google Desktop to get decent search through my .pdfs.

Also I would like them to fix Outlook Express (quoting, signatures...), not so much because of me, but because it kills the ergonomics of Usenet.

Comment

Outlook Express is being replaced by a totally new program in Vista. No word on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    And yes, Desktop Search will be integrated.
                    desktop search on google's level?

Your "too hard to code" comment is classic, because you still can't fix Poly code...
                    i'm not google

Comment

What do you mean on googles level?

MSN Desktop Search?

Comment

compare the search abilities (on web and files) of google and msn

Comment

The new Access looks fabulous

Comment

Pretty damn sweet!
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                              The new Access looks fabulous
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X