No announcement yet.

Junk Food Terminator - Arnie Action in Cali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, we didn't have vending machines in our school.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      Kids > Companies.
      SUPERCITIZEN ON A ROLL!!!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
        I cannot remember which issue it was, but US News and World Report already did a largish article on this earlier this year. No big pronouncements, New York City has already been doing this for several years.

They got an excellent chef who also knows his food science, and put him in charge. He is requiring the companies selling to the schools to provide healthy and tasty food, as well as requiring the on site food preparation to meet the same standards. He provides menus, tells the companies what to prepare and how to do it, and just generally reforming the entire school cafeteria system. They found the right man, put him in charge, and gave him the authority. A very fimple and fiendishly difficult (I am NOT being sarcastic) solution.
        Yeah, it's really not that hard. It's just people getting past this whole ROI/Capitalist BS that has to justify EVERYTHING.

OMG it's not making a profit we're ****ed!!!!
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Yeah, it's really not that hard. It's just people getting past this whole ROI/Capitalist BS that has to justify EVERYTHING.

OMG it's not making a profit we're ****ed!!!!

The approach that Jamie Oliver tried was to attempt to educate the pupils about the different types of food available, and to involve them in making dishes and preparing vegetables.

When he showed them the meat slurry that went into making some of the meat items on the menu, they were disgusted.

The schools involved also reported that on a healthier diet the children's behaviour improved as did their attention spans- and some of the parents reported that whereas their offspring had previously exhibited the kind of behaviour associated with sugar rushes and attention deficit disorder, on the improved diet this was no longer the case.

Still, it's so much easier and cost effective to feed your kids cheap crap, treat them with more chemicals to combat their responses to additives and dyes, manage their juvenile diabetes, and treat them in later life for adult onset diabetes, and morbid obesity than to educate them about their diets.
          Attached Files
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

what's wrong with good meat?
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I don't see the need to remove the machines, just jack up the prices to movie theater or theme park pricing.

You'll have reduced consumption and huge amounts of money for sports and other acitivities.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Some schools in Glasgow have resorted to giving away free Xboxes and iPods to encourage healthy eating. Each child is given a swipe card, and they can accrue points based on their eating habits. 100 healthy meals would earn enough points for an iPod.

Glasgow council think it'll save money in the long run, by changing eating habits.

Comment

iPod for doing the right thing? That's no behavioral education. How about do the right thing or get punched in the stomach!! You disgusting fatbody, MOVE, MOVE, or I kill you!

They should eat healthy beacause they want to, not because they get free stuff if they do..

Though even that's better than no action, so I guess that's semi thumb up.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hmm

I wonder if Jacques Pepin is available...
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                    X