Why Apple is a better company than Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
    Sort of like releasing "updates" to their OS that f*ck other people's programs, but have no effect on the MS equivalents. Oops, that's different.
    Nope, that is also blatantly anticompetitive, if it was intentional.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
      Sort of like releasing "updates" to their OS that f*ck other people's programs, but have no effect on the MS equivalents. Oops, that's different.
      What are you refering to?

Comment

From an investors's perspective, Apple's moves are reassuring. So many companies just don't take action against information leaks, you'd think the big cheeses had their palm greased.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I can get you lists of programs that had problems when MS released upgrades to their programs going back to Windows and MS Office versus Perfect Office (where there were problems) and things like undocumented program calls that were used by MS programmers that were not available to outside programmers. Of course the problem is that "proving" these claims becomes problematic, especially given MS various legal strategies. The company's use, and abuse, of the legal sytem have been nothing short of brilliant.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Asher doesn't like Apple because his predictions over the last three years have proved that he was completely wrong (again). Apple has *****slapped all the other music download sites and mp3 player makers because it knows that most people want a simple solution. iTunes is the simplest solution for most people.

People are prepared to pay for that, and couldn't care less about the lock-in. When you are dealing in 99c impulse buys, worrying about whether you might save 10c here or there is just moronic.

It's business.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

If it's really all about the fact that iTunes/iPod were the best, I don't think Apple would be so concerned about making sure people can't use their competitors products.

If the quality of the product could stand for itself there would be no point in what they're doing.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Uh - does that apply to Microsoft also.

edited to correct smiley
                Last edited by Mr. Harley; September 18, 2005, 07:25.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Yes, it should.

Comment

If you want to get around DRM copy protection, burn the song to a CD, and rip the CD into the desired format .
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

You also get degraded quality that way.

I always had ambiguous feelings towards liked Apple as company and today I can't really say I like them, but I like some of their products.

But I hate the policies they have. I don't care about the iTunes thing, because that's ridiculously expensive anyway and also comes with DRM. But the $129 for each crappy update is a real problem. Even more because software requires newer and newer OS X versions. A friend of mine downloaded 10.3 for her gf who bought the laptop about one year ago, because she couldn't install a program she liked (10.2 is sooo old). It's the same with the iPod, once a newer generation is there, the older ones are not receiving software updates anymore.

I cannot understand why someone would still defend this consumer unfriendliness. Apple needs to receive harsh critics, the fact that their products look solid, is NOT an excuse for ****ing with their customers.

Comment

That's also why I have not purchased an Apple since we purchased and Apple II+ as a business decision. Atahualpa is right on target.

Comment

I was thinking about buying an iPod but I guess it is no longer the case
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Even more because software requires newer and newer OS X versions.
                            Hole in your argument big enough to drive a truck through.

Get on the case of the developers about this. If they won't make their software compatible with the latest version of Apple's OS then that must be Apple's fault. Microsoft is also responsible for those evil people who won't make things that are compatible with Win 95...

None of that can be blamed on Apple. So your whole argument is just silly.

I've had every version of OS X from the beginning. Each one was certainly worth the upgrade price.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I've had every version of OS X from the beginning. Each one was certainly worth the upgrade price.

It's sad to see people suckered like this.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's the same with the iPod, once a newer generation is there, the older ones are not receiving software updates anymore.

That's not true. IIRC Apple updated the old iPods at the request of customers so that they can use the podcasts feature and the other new stuff.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X