No announcement yet.

Linux tutorials - Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most comprehensive thing I could find suitable to a newbie : The Rute User's Guide .

Comment

That's a very good guide .

Comment

If I may ask - which distro are you installing ?

Comment

Haven't made up my mind yet if I want Gnome or KDE. I have heard good things about Gentoo and Ubuntu (very little on Slackware). Since I've done programming in the past, including Assembly Language (old IBM 360 in college) I will almost certainly go for a mid+ level distribution. The thing is since Windows 95 I've really gotten away from tweaking my system much, so I know I'm rusty as hell. But I do have many of the concepts down. I'm also going to have to dig out all my old disks and CD's to make sure I have the requisite drivers, etc. for Linux. It will still be several weeks, my job is being outsourced and the contractor walks in as my new employee in about two weeks and things are a mite bit hectic for now. I started the thread early so I could use it as a basis for further research.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
            Haven't made up my mind yet if I want Gnome or KDE.
            Most distros support both. Although again most have better support for one or another. For example Fedora is mostly a Gnome disto.

I have heard good things about Gentoo and Ubuntu (very little on Slackware). Since I've done programming in the past, including Assembly Language (old IBM 360 in college) I will almost certainly go for a mid+ level distribution. The thing is since Windows 95 I've really gotten away from tweaking my system much, so I know I'm rusty as hell. But I do have many of the concepts down.
            If you like to do a lot of tweaking Gentoo is the way to go. Slackware is one of the oldest distros that has been overtaken by the newer ones.

I'm also going to have to dig out all my old disks and CD's to make sure I have the requisite drivers, etc. for Linux.
            Linux drivers are different from Windows ones. Most hardware comes only with Windows drivers, although Linux now has support for the more popular hardware.

For example, go to linuxprinting.org for printer drivers.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR - I constantly tinker and purchase bargain computer stuff. Over the last I'd say three years most of what I've gotten has Linux drivers. If you go back into the late 90's though you can get into real problems. Thanks for the link.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I say ditch both KDE and Gnome, and just use Fluxbox.
                B♭3

Comment

A few things about Gentoo:

1. After you finished booting, run lspci and make a record.
                  2. There is a problem with X Window that it doesn't work with certain hardened components. Use the "static" USE flag to work around this.
                  3. Pay attention to the USE flag.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Thanks UR and Q-Cubed.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      I say ditch both KDE and Gnome, and just use Fluxbox.

Comment

The thing about Gnome and KDE is they aren't merely window managers. They also have toolkits other applications use.

So even if you don't use Gnome and KDE, you still want to install the underlying toolkits.

Comment

Luckily with Gentoo, it'll handle to toolkits for you.

Honestly, I'd just go ahead and emerge both qt and gtk-2.
                          B♭3

Comment

Working...
                          X