Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing 101

Why Sun is losing marketshare.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Yeah, that's not good marketing.

1) It publicly acknowledges Dell is eating their market share

2) It's a sad attempt to look edgy, when it comes off as juvenuille.

3) Too blatant, not subtle enough

That graphics on that add are very nice, too bad they were ruined with the juvenuille crap.

Those x86 servers from Sun actually rock, it's too bad this ad campaign is holding them back.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If you read Dilbert, you know that's actually the very right language to talk to managers.

Comment

What about "Sun rules, Dell drools?"
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

C'mon, ... Someone with some decent hardware knowledge will use the best **** anyway and silly ad campaigns won't change a thing about that.. and besides there will hardly be any noobs buying those servers
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
            C'mon, ... Someone with some decent hardware knowledge will use the best **** anyway and silly ad campaigns won't change a thing about that.. and besides there will hardly be any noobs buying those servers
            I can tell you from experience that whether it be for the hardware or the OS, the IT people are not always the ones making the decisions on what to buy.
            What?

Comment

You are correct.

Sometimes you have to sell to Dilbert's boss, not Dilbert
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I guess Sun couldn't find anything that rhymes with IBM

This is downright awful advertising, and possibly bad marketing. It gives the impression that Sun follows a competitor-based strategy instead of a market-based strategy. Market-based strategy communication (advertising) emphasizes product strengths and visualizes customer benefits.

Comment

You can't say anything bad about IBM's servers.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                    I guess Sun couldn't find anything that rhymes with IBM

This is downright awful advertising, and possibly bad marketing. It gives the impression that Sun follows a competitor-based strategy instead of a market-based strategy. Market-based strategy communication (advertising) emphasizes product strengths and visualizes customer benefits.
                    Yep, chasing after a competitor makes you look desparate, espcially in this situation when the competitor is getting the upper hand.

Competitor strategy would work well if the company is a young upstart making its way in the world against a slow moving archaic and well established company. But Sun has been the big guy on the block when it comes to distributed backend systems for the past 20 years, and Dell is starting to make headway, so it's a shame they are using this strategy.

Granted, Sun is new to the low end market, but this just doesn't look good for them.

Comment

Well, what with OpenSolaris not exactly catching fire, Sun's... well, they're special.

/me pats Sun on the head.
                      B♭3

Comment

Seriously, they are always playing catchup.

OpenSolaris is wack, why don't they just team up with RedHat instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                          OpenSolaris is wack, why don't they just team up with RedHat instead.
                          Well, I am sure there are some good bits in Solaris, but what I don't understand is why they don't use an existing license instead of coming up with their own. What kind of "catches" are there?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You want to know what kind of "catches" there are with the GPL? ...

:|

Comment

"Benchmark studies prove that Dell sucks"

Mildly amusing

The rest: Juvenile, no positive effect
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X