Self Fulfilling Prophecy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Fulfilling Prophecy

All the idiots over here panic buying petrol and causing the stations to run dry because they're scared of the 'fuel blockade' that isn't going to happen on Wednesday...

Garages run dry as panic buying fuels price rise

Problem is that gave me a dilemma myself, sitting on a practically empty fuel tank with a road trip to North Wales in the next day...

Do I join the queues or not?

The natural reaction is to laugh at the sheep panicking but the issue is that if they outstrip the *normal* supply to the petrol stations they are still going to be empty despite the protest tomorrow not targeting fuel supplies - and I would be stranded!

So reluctantly I was forced to join the sheep and thus continue the vicious circle of the self-fulfilling prophecy...

PS - Road Trip!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Road trip

My road trip recounted in all its glory:
    Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Looks like you had a great time!

Aren't road trips the absolute best!?

Here's a photo journal of my US trip a few years back!

Done a few more since then including a circumnavigation of Iceland this year...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Why is there a problem with gas in Britain?
        Donate to the American Red Cross.
        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Intercourse
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

This is an awesome picture MOBIUS:

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www
              There isn't, we have a problem with PETROL
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

A classic case of non-cooperative Nash equilibrium in action
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

these days petrol stations offer personal loans to cover filling up your car :/
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Di the price of petrol rise in the UK after Katrina too?
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Prices rose after Katrina, and we're already taxed to the eyeballs for what we call petrol. It's now about a pound a litre, which is what, around $8 a gallon?

There's a protest group who managed to stop all petrol deliveries in 2001, (demanding lower prices) which nearly shut down the economy and no-one could get any petrol. They were threatening another blockade this week, but it didn't happen.

The real reason for the crisis this week is the Daily Mail, and they can take credit for what the OP calls the 'self-fullfilling prophecy', by screeching about a petrol shortage so everyone thinks they'll be stuffed later in the week unless they filled up early - hence the run on the pumps.

It seems that things are OK, though. There are no queues at the two filling stations near me.

Comment

From Mick Hume in The Times,

I WAS INTERESTED to see “police sources” reporting that all of two fuel protesters approached the Shell refinery at Ellesmere Port this week, but were “frightened off by the size of the media pack”. We often hear boasts about the media being “the new opposition”, but “the new riot police” is a new one on me. Still, perhaps it was fitting that the media pack burst the protesters’ bubble. After all, it was the media that so ludicrously inflated their hopes of “causing chaos” in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Prices rose after Katrina, and we're already taxed to the eyeballs for what we call petrol. It's now about a pound a litre, which is what, around $8 a gallon?
                          That sounds right to me. And I thought $3.00 dollars a gallon was a lot . . .

Everyone else thanks for the info on your fuel problem.
                          Donate to the American Red Cross.
                          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

how about "continuing" the gasoline with ethanol? It should be cheaper and every cars motors should be able to deal with up to 15% ethanol in the gasoline....
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

bio diesel rox

the joys of having a monocultive economy! ROAR R O A R !!
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X