Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intelligent women in business suits.

Hizzottt!!!!!!!!
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

COLUMN by David Broder in Sunday's Washington Post. Broder is probably the most respected US political columnist today, and a life-long Democrat.

Roberts's Sterling Showing

By David S. Broder

Sunday, September 18, 2005; Page B07

The question of whether Judge John Roberts is qualified to be chief justice of the United States has been rendered moot by his performance in the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings. He is so obviously -- ridiculously -- well-equipped to lead government's third branch that it is hard to imagine how any Democrats can justify a vote against his confirmation.

Finally, he said, his recent judicial service has deepened his sense of humility. "Part of that modesty has to do with being open to the considered views of your colleagues on the bench. I would say that's one of the things I've learned the most in the past two years on the Court of Appeals: how valuable it is to function in a collegial way . . . other judges being open to your views; you being open to theirs. They, after all, are in the same position you're in. They've read the same briefs. They've heard the same arguments. . . . If they're seeing things in a very different way, you need to be open to that and try to take another look at your view and make sure that you're on solid ground."

This is so far from the caricature of a conservative ideologue depicted by some of the interest groups that their attacks seem absurd.

Roberts's only problem is that he has set a standard so high, it will be difficult for the next nominee to measure up.

If the Democrats are smart, they will not bow to their interest groups but instead will embrace this extraordinary nominee and challenge President Bush, who has at least one more vacancy to fill, to "send us another Roberts."

And today from CNN
      WASHINGTON (AP) -- The senior Democrat on the Judiciary Committee announced Wednesday he will vote to confirm John Roberts for chief justice of the United States after leading lawmakers met with President Bush to discuss candidates for the other high court vacancy.

Moments after Leahy spoke, Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, who also serves on the Judiciary Committee, announced he would vote against Roberts.

"There is clear and convincing evidence that John Roberts is the wrong choice for chief justice," Kennedy said. "I oppose the nomination, and I urge my colleagues to do the same."

Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, who lost the presidential election to Bush last year, also planned to announce his opposition to Roberts' confirmation on Wednesday.
      Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Fortunately most of the civilized world has stopped taking Kennedy and Kerry seriously.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

He's making better use of this hearing than many of his colleagues.
          "Yes, Mr Roberts whats a 3 letter word for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
            COLUMN by David Broder in Sunday's Washington Post. Broder is probably the most respected US political columnist today, and a life-long Democrat.

Roberts's Sterling Showing

By David S. Broder

Sunday, September 18, 2005; Page B07

The question of whether Judge John Roberts is qualified to be chief justice of the United States has been rendered moot by his performance in the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings. He is so obviously -- ridiculously -- well-equipped to lead government's third branch that it is hard to imagine how any Democrats can justify a vote against his confirmation.

Finally, he said, his recent judicial service has deepened his sense of humility. "Part of that modesty has to do with being open to the considered views of your colleagues on the bench. I would say that's one of the things I've learned the most in the past two years on the Court of Appeals: how valuable it is to function in a collegial way . . . other judges being open to your views; you being open to theirs. They, after all, are in the same position you're in. They've read the same briefs. They've heard the same arguments. . . . If they're seeing things in a very different way, you need to be open to that and try to take another look at your view and make sure that you're on solid ground."

This is so far from the caricature of a conservative ideologue depicted by some of the interest groups that their attacks seem absurd.

Roberts's only problem is that he has set a standard so high, it will be difficult for the next nominee to measure up.

If the Democrats are smart, they will not bow to their interest groups but instead will embrace this extraordinary nominee and challenge President Bush, who has at least one more vacancy to fill, to "send us another Roberts."

And today from CNN
            WASHINGTON (AP) -- The senior Democrat on the Judiciary Committee announced Wednesday he will vote to confirm John Roberts for chief justice of the United States after leading lawmakers met with President Bush to discuss candidates for the other high court vacancy.

Moments after Leahy spoke, Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, who also serves on the Judiciary Committee, announced he would vote against Roberts.

"There is clear and convincing evidence that John Roberts is the wrong choice for chief justice," Kennedy said. "I oppose the nomination, and I urge my colleagues to do the same."

Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, who lost the presidential election to Bush last year, also planned to announce his opposition to Roberts' confirmation on Wednesday.
            I watched a large chunk of the hearings. Aside from omitting a comment about what complete and utter fools some Dem's on the committee have made of themselves, nothing more needs to be said.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
            X