Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pentagon Plans First-Strike Nuclear Policy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is nothing new. This is just rhetorics from Rummie to the terrorists and people who are contemplating becoming one that it's not out of the question, do not give nukes to terrorists, they will be used.

I don't think they'll be used. It's just rhetorics.

I don't see US nuking for example say... some ME nation if there's strong evidence they gave nukes to some terrorist org. Basically killing the 4 guilty people and 300k not guilty? I don't think so. It' sjust rhetorics.

So I wouldn't be alarmed.

The only thing though, this doesn't exaclty help nations wanting to lower the number of nukes. Quite the opposite. See NK negotiatons fall down right about now.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
      NZ has a left-wing press. They like Bush-bashing/anti-americanism since there's demand for it on their domestic market, just like in Finland (Finnish press bashes US all the time).

That's my guess, anyway. I don't really know much about NZ.
      internet finns look quite right wing and pro usa to me.
      I need a foot massage

Comment

I don't think the terrorist nuke threat is that big. First, I don't believe they can get a real nuke on their hands and second, dirty bombs seem to be overrated. In one fictive example more damage was done by the panic that followed than what the bombs could do. Also I heard that radiation from dirty bombs are not that significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

internet finns look quite right wing and pro usa to me.
          finns are evil, what do you expect?

Comment

No, but we realize that sometimes you need to kill.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

You can;t argue that nukes are tactically justifiable and then deny the right to have nukes to any soverign state.
              Can I argue that nukes are strategically justifiable and then deny the right to have nukes to any soverign state?
              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                No, but we realize that sometimes you need to kill.
                realize
                As much as the psychopath next door realizes that sometimes he needs human flesh to eat.

Comment

We've always had a first use policy. Just ask Japan. Hell, I'm honestly surprised we didn't use them after 9/11.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

We'll meet again,
                    Don't know where, don't know when,
                    But we'll meet again
                    Some summer's day.

--Or--

Boom goes London.
                    Boom Parie.
                    More room for you;
                    More room for me.

And every country, the whole world round
                    Will just be another All-American town

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Can I argue that nukes are strategically justifiable and then deny the right to have nukes to any soverign state?
                      no, which is why the non-proliferation regme is bound to fail in the long term as long as the established nuclear powers refuse banning nukes outright, like other WMD's.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

no, which is why the non-proliferation regme is bound to fail in the long term as long as the established nuclear powers refuse banning nukes outright, like other WMD's.
                        Well that's silly - I can argue whatever I want to . I think nuclear weapons helped prevent war breaking out between superpowers in the 20th century, saving millions of lives.

I also think that a rogue regime, or one supporting terrorists, should not have access to nuclear weapons, just like a volent criminal shouldn't have access to guns. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that view.

I also don't think it's that hard to accomplish. There are only a small handful of countries seeking nuclear weapons that do not currently have them. Nuclear weapons are expensive to consutrct and expensive to maintain, and most countries find the expense in terms of money and diplomacy not worth it. And we should use the tools of diplomacy to try to ensure that we halt the proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Time will only tell wether or not we'll be successful, but I don't think we should ignore the possibility of other countries getting nuclear weapons just as we shouldn't ignore the possibility of terrorist groups developing them either.
                        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                        X