Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing a Dissertation....

Well... it's ****ing finished isn't it.

I just this minute fixed up the last typos I could find. I'll bet anything that some have been missed, but that's just life. It's all done and tomorrow, barring some fatal accident, I will hand it in to the School of Graduate Studies, pay them 15 bucks to bind it, and then it will rot in the Library with all of the others.

You would think that someone who had stupidly chosen a hard topic for his MA Thesis would not repeat that mistake again. Alas, I did. It's 50% larger than the typical doctoral thesis because I yet again chose a topic that required me to write about a large amount of material and which crosses swords with almost everyone in the business (thus requiring a million footnotes along the line of "X, Y and Z say p, but they are full of **** because of the 5 obscure references that follow).

Anyone else have a dissertation horror story to tell?

PS. I believe this is the first look at me thread I ever posted.
    Only feebs vote.

Now will you please stop sucking on the Canadian public teat and go back to sheepland where you belong?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have dissertation horror stories. But not to tell, no. Just to repress, until one day they bubble to the surface, I snap, and all of Poly sees my neighbors on the news describing me as a "nice, quiet man."

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Now will you please stop sucking on the Canadian public teat and go back to sheepland where you belong?
        As soon as you stop spreading your vile liberalism among the good people of Maryland, and stop rogering your mates' birds.

BTW. I've been paying my own way for the last year.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Last dissertation I finished took 5 paper cutters, 2 knives, 3 forks, and lots of shots from a staple gun. A true horror, I tell you...
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Last? How many dissertations did you write?
            Blah

Comment

/me is wondering if BeBro is pulling his leg
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Never
                Blah

Comment

I can't help you with dissertations because all my work is based on plagiarism and making up things.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Re: Finishing a Dissertation....

Originally posted by Agathon

I lost about 4 hours of good writing to a crash on a mac after I had used the 'move' command rather than 'copy'. The irony was that it happened while making a backup from the HD to a floppy.

Thats about it. My PhD thesis is only 28 pages long with another 6 pages of refs. If you do novel work there's no need to write a bunch of 'filler' .

Of course the majority of the thesis work in Sweden is actually in the published papers that are included in the back so the 28 pages just tie everything together into one piece of work.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

My wife's thesis for Art Therapy was just shy of 80 pages, plus another 81 pages of photos - she was trying to develop a new kind of psychological art assessment for inner city children. I had already helped her (hell, I did them) the sadistics, as she affectionately calls the math. I was tired, as I had to run all over Cleveland and Akron to find a University with the right modules for SPSS. We needed a very specific multivariate one that of course nobody had purchased (except for the University of Akron, go figure).

We were running up on a deadline. She told me don't worry, she would take the photos of the artwork with my 60mm flat field copy lens and my Nikon 8008. I had shown her how to do it in the past for her internships. I had driven up (four hours) after working a graveyard shift, so I happily crashed. We drove back home that evening, her family was uncomfortable with us sleeping together because we weren't married yet - as if we had been celibate for the previous three years (and the wedding was just a couple of months away).

Stupid Shawnmmcc. Dumb Shawnmmcc. Art Therapists are not known as precise, exact scientists. In fact the skill set to be good in the field is almost totally antithetical to that - and she is very good. Every photo, every God damn photo, was skewed. As in the artwork formed a trapezoid in the square photo. As in three edges had to be trimmed half-way between the skew and the square edge to hide the problem.

But no, not for 81 photos. For six time 81 photos, as we had to turn in the six copies (five in color, one in black and white) in a couple of days. Plus, we had got the film developed back home (we had never had a problem before, and she had taken duplicates - which were also skewed ). Which meant the professional copy stand was four hours aways, and we lacked the money and time to find a professional with the equipment and the expertise, if we could have even found one in our small town. So I trimmed 486 photos. Three edges each, which makes it almost 1500 trims. I called in sick to get it done.

I saved the shaved photo edges and gave them to my wife when she got her Masters, in this big envelope with a bow on the outside.
                      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Re: Finishing a Dissertation....

Originally posted by Agathon
                        My ex wrote, "Batchelor of Science" on the front of her dissertation. Which had entire chapters missing, a word count of less than 5000 (10000 is the norm), and earnt her a princely mark of 27%.

Comment

Re: Re: Finishing a Dissertation....

Originally posted by Gibsie

My ex wrote, "Batchelor of Science" on the front of her dissertation. Which had entire chapters missing, a word count of less than 5000 (10000 is the norm), and earnt her a princely mark of 27%.
                          5000 words Batchelor?

Thank God you got rid of her.

My horror stories are yet to tell when I finally come to review all the microfilm documents I ordered from the archive. I'm sure they're unreadable now, some will be mising and some will just have the last word in each line missing because they were too stupid to remove the thread of the bundle or because they don't want to "alter" the document. ****, how that thread hold together the bundle won't tell us anything, but the document is worthless if I can't read the last word in the line!
                          It has not yet happened, but it will!
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

i've finished my PhD dissertation last month

and i already know that newyear is going to come one month too early...
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

My first dissertation commitee chairman was a terrific economist and an even better teacher. (TCO had some classes from him and agrees completely.) He likened the effect of earning a Ph. D. to getting a union card. But this first chairman went to Berlin for a three-year sabbatical, so could not continue to serve on my commitee.

The chairmanship then devolved to the second most senior member of my committee, who had, I learned later, a long-standing reputation in the department as a right bastard. When I met with him for the first time as chairman, he described the process to me as follows:
                              "Writing a dissertation is like public crucifixion. When I decide you have suffered enough, we will cut you down and hand you your degree."
                              Jobs were tight, so I took a full time job and left grad school before I was finished. Took me every single weekend, vacation day, and holiday (except Christmas and Easter) for the next two and a half years to get it done.

I brought the finished product to the grad school office. The secretary hit about three keys on the computer and said "You're done." I'm thinking "WHAT??? THAT"S IT???? If that's all there was to it I would have broken in three years ago and punched the three damn keys myself!!!" I stumbled to the edge of campus, sat under a tree, and stared at Lake Michigan for 4-5 hours, emotionally exhuasted.

The strange thing is that I learned far more economics at work than I ever did at school.

Protocol Note For Agathon:
                              You did not receive a Ph. D.
                              You were not awarded a Ph. D.
                              If the task was anything at all worth the doing,
                              you earned a Ph. D.

Congratulations.
                              Old posters never die.
                              They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Working...
                              X