Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Pope the successor of the Roman Emperors? Vatican city = Roman Empire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

If the Ottomans were heir to Rome because they conquered the eastern half of the empire, then what about the German tribes that conquered the western half? Would that mean the holy roman empire's claim would be legit?

Does modern day Germany have as much claim to the title as Turkey then?
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

There are no heirs only descendants.

In the Roman tradition the successor would most likely be the most powerful country/state in the world. USA or China.
        What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
        What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

haaaaah aha haaa haaaaaaaa hahahaha

no. actually it's Canada.

Comment

Duh
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There never was a Carlos V. There was a Carlos (I) who was also Karl V though.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

I can't help it if stupid people find a stupid word racist.

In any case, how is using the word "squaw" to descibe an Indian cheifs wife racist?
                It's like "redskin," dude. It's just WRONG.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

redskins

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Pax
                    There are no heirs only descendants.

In the Roman tradition the successor would most likely be the most powerful country/state in the world. USA or China.
                    Or France

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      If the Ottomans were heir to Rome because they conquered the eastern half of the empire, then what about the German tribes that conquered the western half? Would that mean the holy roman empire's claim would be legit?

Does modern day Germany have as much claim to the title as Turkey then?
                      see this thread

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=136018
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It's like "redskin," dude. It's just WRONG.
                        No, redskin is oviously a term meant to describe someones race, like me calling a black man "darkie." Both are racial slurs.

Squaw is simple a word in their own language, and in this case a word that was used in the correct context.

But I will play your game. I now declare the use of the French language racist.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

<-- These sluteyes would agree.

Comment

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

squaw ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skwô)
                            n.
                            Offensive. A Native American woman, especially a wife.
                            Offensive Slang. A woman or wife.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The Roman Empire was an empire centered upon the city of Rome. When the imperial possessions in the west fragmented, leaving Rome as the center of a small ecclesiastic state then truly the Roman empire had died. The fact that some fragments persisted for a while doesn't change that fact.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Ha!

Dictonaries telling people which words should offend them, how ministry of truth

In any case, it is still simply an native american word, I can't help it if stupid people are offended by it.
                                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X