Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

germany vs. russia cinema rumble - 1920s!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• germany vs. russia cinema rumble - 1920s!

I adore films. All of those art rumbles set me to thinking, what would be a good time period which would have two distinctive country-movements that you could set against eachother? Perhaps you could set italian neo-realism against hollywood cinema at the same time, but that'd be kind of weird.

However, germany versus russia in the silent age is pretty much perfect.

In germany, you have the advancing art of melodrama, in the early stages sexploitation flicks, then epic large fantasies and expressionism and all sorts of wonderfully, decadently large films because of the incredibly depressed deutschmark. And this is right from 1920.

In the USSR, on the other hand, film production didn't start until around 23 or 24, but when it did, boy howdy!

So I'm going to advance two artists from the period - on the russian side we have lev kuleshov, who was instrumental in editing theory. I have seen two of his films: by the law and the extraordinary adventures of mr. west in the land of the bolsheviks, both of them brilliant.

On the other hand, let us consider the case of mr. G.W. Pabst, who produced the incredibly moving The Love Of Jeanne Ney, and the similarly well-executed (yet ultimately less satisfying) Pandora's Box.

Although both are worthy of doffing one's hat to, and certainly far superior to any rubbish we have nowadays, who's technique reigns supreme? And what about the other silent masters? Personally I'll take Kuleshov over Pabst, but just barely (I find By the Law to be one of the finest silent dramas ever, right up there with the Passion of Joan of Arc).
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Is this for real?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Why would I lie?
      Drake Tungsten
      Albert Speer

Comment

It's comedy, is all.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I really feel sorry for any pour soul who doesn't have a little bit of Pabst in his life.
          Drake Tungsten
          Albert Speer

Comment

Right...

Comment

Do you have something against silent films?
              Drake Tungsten
              Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Is this for real?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Who feels like going to the National library and get the films you mentioned?
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I have to go with germany.

The Soviets may have been more experimental in terms of the medium of film, but how can anyone argue vs Metropolis, or Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari

Oh, and Mon, ignore the Philistine.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Eisenstein
                      BANG! Russia wins.
                      CSPA

Comment

cabinet of dr. caligari is grossly overrated. other than the sets, there really isn't that much. I found the camera to be stiflingly theatrical.

metropolis is great, that much I'll admit, but great enough to topple battleship potemkin? it's a close call.

plus, then you have pudovkin, dhovzenko, kozintzev and trauberg and boris barnet! admittedly dhovzenko's Earth isn't part of the discussion, because that was out in 1930, but you still have is Arsenal, which is quite an acheivement in and of itself.

but then, you've got germany, and you've got ernest lubitsch doing some cool stuff, and murnau. however, they only made some movies in germany before moving to america. I'll admit that if Sunrise had been made in germany, this battle would be much closer for me.
                        Drake Tungsten
                        Albert Speer

Comment

I think Germany would win for sheer inventiveness- the variety of films, the horror stories, the science fiction films, the stories of city life- so you have everything from 'Nosferatu' to 'The Last Laugh', 'Metropolis' to 'Pandora's Box', and Wegener's rerelease of 'The Golem' to 'Dr. Mabuse the Gambler'.

Takes me back to my days in the North By Northwest Film Society and screenings of 'Greed'...
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                            I really feel sorry for any pour soul who doesn't have a little bit of Pabst in his life.
                            I dont drink cheap beer.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Id have waited, and gone for France vs Italy vs Sweden, or something like that.

Or even US vs France in the 70s Coppola vs Truffaut, something like that.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X