Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many eductaed people wear glasses/contacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but how many people care about what you're better at?

What's the point? Just because other people don't care about it, doesn't mean it's not athletic.

And I know three kids from my school last year who got into Princeton on crew scholarships.

Maybe the thing your school is really exhibiting is that, since team sports like football and basketball are sucked at, no one at your school is good at teamwork skills?

More like we're extremely competitive, and most of us aren't stupid enough to play football.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Which is silly, since he must be talking about the entire United States... we have one of the top crew teams in the country
      Crew? As in theatre stage crew?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        Well, UR was taking cheap shots...
        No, it's just simple logic.

1. There are only so many hours in a day
        2. Time spent doing one thing couldn't be used for something else

Which means a person can either spend his time to excel in academics or athletics, but not either.

Thus, if in an area where a bunch of self-professed geeks could best students in the same age group from other schools in the same area in athletics, that just means all those other kids are total waste products.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

did u know that all serial killers had 20/20 vision?

Comment

That's not what I think he meant.

I thought that he just means that natural selection will wipe out the area where Kuci's school is located. The whole "in the land of the blind the one-eyed is king" isn't but vaguely implied.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Thus, if in an area where a bunch of self-professed geeks could best students in the same age group from other schools in the same area in athletics, that just means all those other kids are total waste products.

It's quite possible!

And I generally disagree with you - If you exercise as your leasure activity ( playing basketball, and other ball games is a great example ) - You will be able to excel at physical abilities and in your mental abilities, as well.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                Crew? As in theatre stage crew?
                Crew as in ROWING, *****

Like spending two hours a day doing hard exercise.

Comment

Which means a person can either spend his time to excel in academics or athletics, but not either.
                  Even Aggie could teach you a few things about logic. That there are only so many hours in a day doesn't imply that there aren't sufficient hours to excell in multiple areas.

My school has produced nationally competitive swimmers and rowers (I don't know much about other sports cuz I don't play them). These same people are very smart and easily in the 99th percentile at least.

No, it means you're talking out of your ass.

Comment

Oxford and Cambridge are famous for rowing too. It could be a class image thing. Like saying your school is the best at Fives or Polo or something.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Even Aggie could teach you a few things about logic.

Attacking two people at once
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Just because you couldn't do both (or any?) of them doesn't mean other people are similarly equipped to handle things. I finished with an A-level equivalent of AAAA in my school exams and played 30ish hours of basketball a week as part of my semi-professional club (which was national champion when I played there) and the U18 national side. Admittedly Luxembourg, but still.

Same goes for the other guy i mentioned, he swam 2.5 hours before school, then 2 hours after school as well and 2*2hrs hours training sessions on Sat/Sun. He finished with one of the highest averages ever seen in my school, maths olympiad medals and has represented his country in Sydney and Athens.

Or take Oxford and Cambridge rowers. Admittedly some get in because they happened to row for the US/Canada/Britain/Australia/German Olympic team, others come in as undergraduates and manage to combine a full degree with 35hours of training for one of the hardest single sporting events.

It's all a question of time management and having brains to start with. I could do the school work that would take most people an hour in 15-20mins. Why? I trained myself to speed read, and developed a form of photographic memory. Also, at school i did not do an awful lot else but school and sport really. I did not watch TV to any great degree, played some computer games but not a lot and maybe went out with other friends once every two weeks. It is just what you decide to do.

I also think rowing is a sport that is ideally suited for this, as a lot of the training is done in the early morning when most people would be sleeping anyway. Your body gets used to sleeping less, so you can do more in a day.

Comment

Also, strictly from an evolutionary point of view, it makes sense that intelligence and strength would be positively correlated, not negatively.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Also, strictly from an evolutionary point of view, it makes sense that intelligence and strength would be positively correlated, not negatively.
                            Please explain.

You could theorise that being strong and intelligent uses too many resources if you only need to be one, the other or half and half to survive.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Why do so many eductaed people wear glasses/contacts?

Originally posted by Ecthy
                              I hear you say it's because they read so much and start so early but guess what so do I, and I started reading when I was 4. I neverneeded glasses in my entire life. Also, many "intelligent" / "educated" people I know are weak and geeky, so why am I not, when at the same time I'm just as clever as they are?
                              There is balance in all things, young Grasshopper. The gods gave you a good brain, good eyes, and a slim waist. They balanced this out by making you ugly and giving you a small penis.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I wear glasses. Not contacts- glasses. I balanced my vanity against my desire to poke my fingers in my eyes, and vanity lost.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X