What Do You Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Support?

How many "free" applications do you use? I was thinking about this and decided to do a quick inventory:

Firefox, which has since changed to Camino following my switch to OS X.

Gizmo, a program akin to Skype

Adium, a superb OS X IM program for OS X similar to Trillian.

Hand Brake, a nice program I use to rip and encode DVDs onto my HD.

OnyX, a program I use to perform the regular OS X maintenance done during the night.

Pixadex, a program used to open some folders, etc used in conjunction with custom icons.

VLC Player, a media player I use to play certain formats when necessary.

This is not to mention all the desktop wallpapers, custom icons, extensions, themes, etc I use.

Now, some applications are free with limited functionality, while many others are free with no limitations whatsoever, who do not try to force you to donate, but rather hope that through developing a solid application, you will be compelled to contribute to their projects.

But do you? I haven't spent a dime helping out any of these applications. Reading through the forums on Firefox and Camino, this came to me: how much I(we) take for granted, just assuming that these projects will receive money through direct donations and other sources of revenue.

I for one plan to make a small donation to Firefox and Camino soon, as I use them extensively. The others I am still testing, but once I settle on them I will also contribute to them.

And I guess a Poly PLUS mention is inevitable. Not that anyone really cares about 'poly :P

Comment

I use Firefox

I support nothing!
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Comment

I have just donated a small sum to the Free Software Foundation.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

A waste. I donate my money to helping people who need it.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Treesize, by JAM Software. Looooove it. Sorry no link.

Comment

I feel no obligation to donate to organizations that develop free stuff. If they want me to give them my money, they should charge me for their stuff!
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  I feel no obligation to donate to organizations that develop free stuff. If they want me to give them my money, they should charge me for their stuff!
                  I'll let the Red Cross know that for future reference

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

I'll let the Red Cross know that for future reference
                    blah blah

not talking about charity numbnuts
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      blah blah

not talking about charity numbnuts
                      But that's what these are. Projects whose developers rely on voluntary contribution for the most part. Very similar to groups like the Red Cross: they just provide a different service.

Comment

Except, to be fair, the Red Cross has never utterly buggered up anyone's PC.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                        X