X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sack the Swede

Sack the Swede

NORTHERN IRELAND 1 vs ENGLAND 0

Sven-Goran Eriksson has refused to resign as England manager despite presiding over the most embarrassing result in the nation's football history.

Fans called for the Swede's head after Northern Ireland - ranked 116th in the world - beat Eriksson's side by a single goal at Windsor Park to record their first home victory over England since 1927 and inflict the Swede's first defeat in a qualifier.

As Eriksson, who is paid around £5million-a-year, trudged off the pitch following David Healy's 74th-minute winner, the travelling fans chanted: "Sack the Swede".

No resignation

He refused to give in, however, saying: "The result went wrong. For 35 minutes we played how we wanted with a lot of patience and controlled the game. But then we lost our patience and our spirit and could not get it back in the second half.

"It's understandable that if we lose, the fans will shout about me. That's up to the FA but I am not going to resign and I am going to try to put it right in October. If we win our last two games we will qualify.

"Yes, it's my worst experience because this was a qualifier and we shouldn't lose - not even draw. We should win games like this. I am very sorry and disappointed and so are the players. Fans have paid a lot of money and wanted to see us play better."

Wayne Rooney was booked for a dangerous challenge on Keith Gillespie and will miss the next match against Austria on October 8. He also argued with captain David Beckham over the incident.

Eriksson, however insisted he still has control of his players: "I am not worried that the players are not listening to me. I have not seen any signs to suggest that. The attitude was better than it was in Denmark but the result was much worse.

"It's still in our hands but it's up to us to win two games and get the points. At half time I did consider taking Rooney off but it's a problem to take out such an important player because you know he can win games.

"His discipline in the second half was good. I don't think the organisation or formation was wrong. They almost all played in the position they do for their clubs. You can't argue about it, though. Win or lose, it's better to talk very little."

Beckham sorry

Beckham said: "It's frustrating to hear the fans criticise the manager so close to the World Cup. It's hard for us to take but they are entitled to their views. But I don't think its right to criticise the manager.

"The players are hurt by this and want to put it right. It's a shame we have to wait a month to do that. There will be a full-scale investigation into this and we know we will come in for a lot of criticism - and we deserve it. But we have to stick together."

Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez believes England will still be one of the favourites to win the tournament. He said: "England will qualify for the Finals and when they get there they will be one of the contenders to win. This was a hiccup for them."

Group Six leaders Poland went five points clear after beating Wales 1-0 with a 53rd-minute penalty from Celtic striker Maciej Zurawski.

Scotland revived their hopes of a play-off place behind Group Five favourites Italy, winning 2-1 away to rivals Norway with two Kenny Miller goals.

England
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Ming, close this one please.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

we can always turn it to a "funny pics of Sven" thread

Comment

hmmm seems like the brits dont want to comment

Comment

We're commenting on the footie thread. But yes, Sven Sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            We're commenting on the footie thread.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I gave you a useless thread to play and you wont touch it!

By Sid, we've trained you well!

Comment

Working...
              X