Good News Stories about Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News Stories about Global Warming

Can anyone find any? Why are there very few scientists examining the ways in which global warming can improve the environment (except in flippant ways like, "oh we'll be able to grow wine in Manchester" ).

e.g. A warmer world is a wetter world. More people die of drought-induced famine than flooding. Therefore surely some currently parched areas ought to benefit.

Why don't we hear about this?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Warm or not, this place will always be cold.

So why not.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: Good News Stories about Global Warming

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Park Avenue

A warmer world is a wetter world.

QUOTE]

Gotta love those warm, dripping wet Sahara, Kalahari, Namib, Atacama and Great Sandy Deserts.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Don't diss Kalahari. No one survives, who refuses to apologize this great crime they did.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

PA: It's not that simple.

According to most things I've read, global warming does not just mean a "wetter world". Ignorant people tend to think in generalizations like this. Basically, there will be greater extremes. Lots of areas will suffer greater drought. Lots of areas will have increased precipitation. Global currents could also get messed up. Which means Europe could get a lot colder, despite the rest of the world getting a lot warmer.

The thing is PA, when it comes to this world we live in, accelerated climate change is generally not a good thing because the results are terribly unpredictable.

But it's nice to know you take this problem seriously.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I know the easy answer is, "well there are no good effects" but that is just sheer ignorance.

Climate change is natural anyway, climate stability is not. Nature is adaptable.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue

Climate change is natural anyway
              burning fossil fuels and pumping trillions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is not natural

don't pretend that it is
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

@ Sava

He didn't say anything about Humanity's contribution to the phenomenon. Let him say it first, then go at it. And he is right, "Climate change is natural anyway, climate stability is not." We have the lifespans of mayflies compared to the Earth. The climate shifts all the time, but we haven't been around long enough to see the extremes for ourselves; what we have now is mild compared to past climates. Instead, we rely on evidence gathered from core samples of sediments and ice to tell us what has come to pass.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a shower. I feel dirty for having agreed with PA on anything.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                  Climate change is natural anyway
                  So's death. That' doesn't mean we ignore murder.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                    @ Sava

He didn't say anything about Humanity's contribution to the phenomenon. Let him say it first, then go at it. And he is right, "Climate change is natural anyway, climate stability is not." We have the lifespans of mayflies compared to the Earth. The climate shifts all the time, but we haven't been around long enough to see the extremes for ourselves; what we have now is mild compared to past climates. Instead, we rely on evidence gathered from core samples of sediments and ice to tell us what has come to pass.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a shower. I feel dirty for having agreed with PA on anything.

I hope someone put NAIR in your shampoo!!!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Humans may have accelerated global warming, but you can't say for sure that it wouldn't have happen otherwise. We've had climate changes before.

Besides, humans are born of nature, we are not outside of it. Thus, anything we do to it is technically "natural".
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Gotta love those warm, dripping wet Sahara, Kalahari, Namib, Atacama and Great Sandy Deserts.

The Namib and Atacama deserts aren't particularly warm. Neither are the Gobi, the Ordos, the Takla Makan, the Kyzyl Kum, the Kara Kum, the Dasht-e-Kavir, Patagonia, much of the western United States or Antarctica. Frankly, I fail to see what temperature has to do with desert formation...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          Frankly, I fail to see what temperature has to do with desert formation...
                          It can alter the direction of prevailing winds, an thus rainfall patterns.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Does that mean there is going to be more deserts? Or just deserts in different places?
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              Besides, humans are born of nature, we are not outside of it. Thus, anything we do to it is technically "natural".

naturally (according to merriamwebster online) - 3 a : without artificial aid

artificial is defined as MANMADE

so you are wrong

OBVIOUSLY
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X