Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and why should I pay attention to what the UN says??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and why should I pay attention to what the UN says??

(AP) Unless drastic measures are implemented, the world will not meet its targets for reducing poverty and millions of people will die needlessly during the next decade, according to a major U.N. report released Wednesday.

but...

UNITED NATIONS — Kofi Annan on Wednesday called the latest report on the U.N. Oil-for-Food (search) program "embarrassing" as it slammed the secretary-general, his deputy and the Security Council for allowing Saddam Hussein to cheat $10.2 billion from the humanitarian operation.

and why should I pay attention to what the UN says??

Why should I pay attention to what you say?

*plonk*
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

because you can't help yourself - the great MWHC has been here!

Comment

Depends on whether you support a Hobbesian world of international relations or a world with a modest system of international laws and dialogue.

Comment

You shouldn't MWHC. The UN is better than the LON but still a failure. Maybe we can get it right the next time.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The UN is a joke.
            Donate to the American Red Cross.
            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

How come people that are upset by UN corruption aren't upset by Bush corruption?

I mean... UN corruption doesn't affect most people! Sure UN is corrupt, but I don't give a flying **** because it doesn't affect me that much.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Search the threads. I dog out Bush just as much. It's just so easy to dog out bush... it's kinda no fun anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  How come people that are upset by UN corruption aren't upset by Bush corruption?

I mean... UN corruption doesn't affect most people! Sure UN is corrupt, but I don't give a flying **** because it doesn't affect me that much.
                  As far as the UN is concern, I just ignore it pretty much.
                  Donate to the American Red Cross.
                  Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

I'm not bothered so much by UN corruption. It is the incompetence and lack of standards that annoy me.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV
                      Search the threads. I dog out Bush just as much. It's just so easy to dog out bush... it's kinda no fun anymore.
                      okay then... just making sure...

because most of the anti-UN people I see here are pro-bush
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I personally like to transfer Hobbes' social theory to the inernationa level. But then, that doesn't really answer MWHC's question.

Why do we care what our government says (obey laws at least)? Because they're the strongest ones around (AND we believe in a legal social system, but that still has to do with the individual perception of security, not with idealism). With the United States alone more powerful than probably the rest of the world altogether, no need for any of you to care for the United Nations.

The international legal system only works properly if it's in the best interest of every individual state, especially of the strongest. We must find a system that suits the great powers of today and tomorrow, not one that appears most flourishing to pacifists and greens

Comment

If you don't like UN, improve it from within
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

If you don't like UN and are strong enough to ignore it, ignore it!

And this isn't immoral. It's simply an amoral matter, as following your own self-interest usually is. Only when it comes to social interaction does self-interest see a slight weakening, but he who gives up himself first is usually the first to fall. See Poland and their Republican constitution while being stuck in between of three hungry great powers.

USA (practically)

UN (ideally)

Pacifists, vegetarians, other whiners

Comment

UN is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X