X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gambler, A True Story by The El

The Gambler
    A True Story by The El

We walked the city streets without purpose. A loose hair clung to the rear end of her black khaki pants. I resisted the urge to peel it off. Having a good look at her for the first time in three months made me realize how big of a screw-up I was. I cheated on her. It began to rain and we both had umbrellas. I opted that we share one. Reluctantly, she acquiesced, on the condition that she be allowed to hold it. Across the street, an elderly white man tripped, falling flat on his face. We kept walking.

She said, “Put yourself in my shoes. You understand, right? I mean, we can’t just go back to normal like nothing ever happened.”

I wanted to say, “We can!”

But I didn’t.

An uncomfortable quiet, the kind that follows after someone farts silently on a crowded elevator, took form. She caught a glimpse of my guilt-ridden countenance through the corner of her left eye. The harder I stared, the more determined she grew to continue looking forward. A rough-looking black man with a pair of varicose veins streaming equidistantly down his biceps obstructed my path. Unshielded from the rain for two seconds, I walked around him.

“You give up too easily,” she said, very crossly. “For once, just fight!”

She went on. I didn’t listen. Her breath stank. I wanted to turn away and gag. Instead, I twisted my lips and squinted my eyes. Involuntarily, my nostrils flared. She noticed. We chuckled.

Forty minutes later and inside a restaurant, conversation thrived. She smiled, I joked, she laughed. We hadn’t skipped a beat. I excused myself to the men’s room and pissed. On my way out, very consciously, I looked at the sink, decided not to wash my hands, and left.

Back at the table, I prolonged my meal. My jokes staggered and my stories lost their swagger. I became desperate in my efforts to keep her attention. And then, I realized that I wanted her back. Three months later—(three girls later)—and I wanted her back?

Out of nowhere, she went, “Sophia’s very pretty.”

“Eh, she’s okay… … … … … I guess.”

“Prettier than me.”

“… … … … … Eh, well… … … … …”

“… … … … …”

“… … … … …”

“I cut my hair… … … What do you think?”

A neatly cropped bowl of shiny black curls. I didn’t care for the new look.

“It’s great.”

At the sight of my contrived smile, she shrank into the maroon seat cushion. Like a child being told at the start of dinner to forget about dessert.

I attempted to change the subject. “The service here sucks.”

She didn’t go for it. “What are you gonna do, Lawrence? Piss in their sink?”

She gathered her things. I watched. A condom fell from her bag and onto the table. Magnum XL, for the well-endowed. My chest tightened. My saliva thickened into a foamy muck. In three months, some sly, greasy-palmed horndog had managed to finagle from her that which eluded me for nearly three years!

I said, “… … … … …”

And she said, “I have to go now.”

She pocketed the condom and left a crisp note on the table for the tip.

As she walked away, something uncontrollable in me blurted out, “But I still I love you!”

She never responded.
    Last edited by Guest; September 6, 2005, 18:16.

Did you piss in the sink?
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

What a loser

Even in Poly standards
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

An uncomfortable quiet, the kind that follows after someone farts silently on a crowded elevator, took form.

Comment

Nice. A bit boring, but I like your writing style. The reactions of different people are very believable.

Comment

Publish this man

I always like reading your writing, it's a refreshing sight after enough che pwning Jaguar and such...
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

An uncomfortable quiet, the kind that follows after someone farts silently on a crowded elevator, took form.

Remove this and you have a great piece of writing.

Comment

His writing's bland, contrived and pedestrian.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The imagery falls flat. The language is utterly pretentious. The sentences have no flow.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    His writing's bland, contrived and pedestrian.
                    I don't agree. Throughout the story, I felt as if I was standing outside in the rain, watching it all take place, rather surreal. Maybe it was my mood at the time I read it, but it really grabbed my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      The imagery falls flat. The language is utterly pretentious. The sentences have no flow.
                      I wouldn't describe it as pretentious. I felt the sentence structure overall was adaptive to the situation: short and choppy when appropriate, to add to the overall atmosphere the writer is trying to convey at the time.

Comment

The language itself is pretentious. He's using long words for the sake of using long words. More common words would not only suffice; they would actually be more appropriate given both the assumed intended meaning and the overall style.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm taking all criticisms into consideration.

But, I assure you that I did not use a "long" word for the sake of using a long word. The story's true and it's told from my perspective. The way I wrote it is the way I'd tell it... orally. So there's nothing forced or pretentious about the author's choice of words here. At least in my opinion.

Imagery, well, that's your call.

Comment

It's written well, but if a true story, you should get help.
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Are you the same guy with the story of your fat cousin a while back?
                              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                              X