Amazing Race: Family Feud Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Race: Family Feud Style

It's all in the family for The Amazing Race.

CBS has revealed the lineup of contestants for The Amazing Race: Family Edition, the latest incarnation of the two-time Emmy winning reality competition. This year, 10 four-member clans will trek around the world in a battle for $1 million. In the past, friends, lovers, spouses and/or coworkers have paired up, for better or worse, on two-person teams.

As they race around the globe, the four-person family teams will be pitted against each other in a series of mental and physical challenges, presumably testing the bonds of sibling-hood, parent-hood, couple-hood, in-law-hood and step-family-hood.

"Anytime you put a family of four together, you get interesting dynamics. It's a pretty humorous and explosive mix," executive producer Bertram van Munster tells USA Today.

Also new this year is the addition of younger competitors. This change meant some adjustments to the grueling Amazing Race schedule. First, there are fewer non-elimination episodes, and the teams only traveled about 30,000 miles total, less than half the 72,000 miles logged by contestants in season six. Less crowded competition sites were also chosen in deference to the kids.

Still, producers see the addition of children as a possible plus for the teams.

"Kids have major advantages just by size," says van Munster. "They can climb through something with more agility, and they're very fast in a crowd."

Plus, they're also, well, childish, so amusing playground antics are likely to ensue. Nine-year-old Carissa Gaghan from Glastonbury, Connecticut, threw down the gauntlet to on Tuesday's The Early Show, which introduced the competitors. "Either you'll be a zero or you'll be a hero," she told her fellow racers.

The family gimmick hopes to build on the show's record ratings last season. Fueled by the antics of Survivor couple Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich, the seventh installment of The Amazing Race averaged 12.5 million viewers a week. The show could also win its third straight Emmy in the Reality Competition category at next month's awards.

Here's a rundown of the teams:

Godlewski sisters from Des Plaines, Illinois: Michelle (42), Sharon (39), Christine (37) and Tricia (26)
    Weaver family from Ormond Beach, Florida: widow Linda (46) and her three children, Rebecca (19), Rachel (16) and Rolly (14)
    Gaghan family from Glastonbury, Connecticut: Bill (40), Tammy (42), Billy (12) and Carissa (9)
    Black family from Woodbridge, Virginia: Reggie (42), Kim (40), Kenneth (11) and Austin (8)
    Linz siblings from Cincinnati: Nick (24), Alex (22), Megan (21) and Tommy (19)
    Rogers family of Shreveport, Louisiana: Denny (46), Renee (42), Brittney (22) and Brock (19)
    Schroeder family from New Orleans: Mark (40), stepmom Char (39) and daughters Stassi (16) and Hunter (14)
    Bransen family from Park Ridge, Illinois: dad Walter (51) and daughters Elizabeth (25), Lauren (22) and Lindsay (20)
    Aiello family from Mansfield, Massachusetts: dad Tony (57) and sons-in-law Kevin (31), Matt ( 31) and David (26)
    Paolo family of Carmel, New York: Tony (52), Marion (52), DJ (24) and Brian (16)

Hosted again by Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race: Family Edition kicks off with a two-hour premiere Sept. 27 at 9 p.m.
    WTF!? I'd kill my siblings! Especially if I was 12 and my sister was 9!

It's also nice to see the Black family taking time out of their looting
    Monkey!!!

Sometimes I have problems with the adult whining, now whining could be taken to a whole new level of annoyance. I'll reserve judgement. (and it will depend greatly on the editing.)
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It'll probably end up with 42 y.o. dad calling his 8 y.o. daughter a stupid little life ruiner because she can't use a zip line.

It'll be great.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

We'll see if it gets out of line.
        It's funny when a guy verbally abuses his girlfriend or visa versa because you know they'll just be dumping each other when it's done, or they'll be real stupid and still get married.
        I don't think it will be as funny if a parent is doing it to their kids.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just what is it take compells some people to make fools of themselves on national television?
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

reality TV

the lowest common denominator of entertainment

IMO, the ethical equivalent of making animals fight

their formula is simple... find the most obnoxious, arrogant, attention seeking, manipulative, *******s in the world, put them in a paper bag, SHAKE IT UP AND WATCH THEM FIGHT

and now there are children involved

child protective services should be called and all these people should have their kids taken away from them
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I really wanted to enter this with my wife and daughters but we (read my wife) thought the kids would be too young (14 and 10). We would have been a great team, we've travelled the world, speak multiple languages, and we're cut-throat competitors. My wife could do the charming/manipulative stuff and I could be the leg-breaker (of the other teams)!
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'm not so keen on this idea.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The Amazing Race is the only "reality" show that's worth watching.

Like rah said, this could be great, or it could be a flop.

Rumor has it, though, that they filmed this one primarily in N. America to cut down the costs of moving twice the number of people around, which is sort of a shame, as one of the great things about this show is exposure to all the different places and cultures worldwide...

Comment

While I applaud the willingness to take a chance with a successful formula, I'm not sure this was the best direction to take it...
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny

Rumor has it, though, that they filmed this one primarily in N. America to cut down the costs of moving twice the number of people around, which is sort of a shame, as one of the great things about this show is exposure to all the different places and cultures worldwide...
                      Probably a safety thing for the kids as well . . . While adults might cope ok if lost in India I'm not sure how children would do -- The cameramen probably can't be expected to track everyone.

This format will probably make the design of physical challenges more interesting. Usually being younger and stronger is a huge advantage but here anything that requires strength should see adult teams just crush the kids. The converse is that children can often be very nimble and good climbers.

It just strikes me that it gives them a greater than usual opportunity to manipulate things.
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Don't normally watch this show, but I'm gonna have to check it out this time. Three of the Linzes went to my high school.

Comment

Working...
                        X