How the Nazis planned attacks with exploding chocolate bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Nazis planned attacks with exploding chocolate bars

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

German sabotage agents developed an exploding bar of chocolate and what was probably the first shoe-bomb during WWII.

Photographs of these and other devices, held in the files of the security service MI5, have been cleared for release by the National Archives.

The devices were intercepted by British intelligence in various locations, including Turkey, but there is no evidence that any such bombs were used - and certainly not in the UK.

These ingenious objects got no further than four explosive cans of peas, which were found on German agents who landed in Ireland by small boat and claimed that they hoped to get them into Buckingham Palace. Details of this plot were reported two years ago.

The latest pictures show how a bomb could be hidden inside a chocolate bar and how explosives could be disguised as the soles of a shoe.

It appears therefore that Richard Reid, who tried to blow up an airliner over the Atlantic in December 2001, was not the first would-be shoe bomber.

There were other examples of devices with explosives inside them - a tin of Smedley's plums, lumps of coal, cans of motor oil, shaving brushes and a mess tin.

Also released by the Archives from MI5 files are examples of German wartime propaganda aimed at the British population.

According to the official historian of MI5, Cambridge Professor Christopher Andrew, the German sabotage failure and the low standard of their propaganda are examples of their overall intelligence failure in the war.

"Why was German intelligence and propaganda so much worse than the Russian?" he asked.

"Possibly because Germans did not want to be spies. All German spies in Britain were caught and all were non-German.

"German propaganda was incredibly bad. Some of it was Monty Python stuff. It illustrates the incompetence of German propaganda at the time.

"German espionage and sabotage in Britain reached the level of 100% incompetence in World War II."

'Apron strings'

One propaganda sheet is so bad that Professor Andrew thinks it might have been a spoof written by British civil servants.

Headed "Naziministerium des 3ten Deutsches Reiches", it says, in English: "To the men of Britain and Eire. You have proved yourselves a race of abject COWARDS unwilling to leave your Mamas' & Wifey's apron strings and FIGHT ME.YOU LICE, VERMIN, SPAWN of PROSTITUTES."

It goes on and on and includes some anti-Semitic remarks as might be expected.

Other pamphlets were a bit more sophisticated. One, issued before the war, starts: "My dear English reader, you may be surprised to receive a letter from Germany. I am a friend of English-German understanding."

There is also an interesting fake copy of the London Evening Standard, dated February 1940. Its headline reads: "The massacre of the RAF".

However it is so bad as to be laughable and again might even be a spoof.

It has a box in the top left hand corner which reads: "Take French laxative: it will keep you on the run."
    Blah

This gives me the idea of Willy Wonka as a secret Nazi, adn all of the ex-Nazis going off to hide in Loompa Land.

I'm sure Roald Dahl is rolling over in his grave as I type.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Yeah but is he rolling in his grave because this is a stupid idea, or if it hit too close... maybe he was a nazi too!!!

Now that we're at it, bipolarbear, you might be a nazi as well.. you know, one of those nazi femmes with an edge on S/M. Kinky....

Can you imagine a big S/M sex games in Wonkas factory though.. chocolate games... yeah... until they have to take a shower..

Oompa Loompa Doompadeedo
      I have suggestion perfect for you
      Oompa Loompa doompadeedee
      If you are kinky
      You will listen to me

In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The part about the propaganda reminded me on Monthy Python's "Funniest Joke in the World" sketch
        Blah

Comment

Mmm.. exploding chocolate bars..
          [/homer]

Comment

German inventions
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

If it wasn't for Uncle Joe you'd all be eating exploding chocolates.

Comment

Although its effect may be debatable, in terms of sophistication, German propaganda achieved the creation of a top-quality Jazz ensemble in order to play anti-Allied parodies of popular songs:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/0...e_and_his.html
                Click here and here to find out how close the George Washington Bridge came to being blown up on 9/11 and why all evidence against those terrorists was classified. Click here to see the influence of Neocon Zionists in the USA and how they benefitted from 9/11. Remember the USS Liberty and the Lavon Affair.

Comment

an old DL!!!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

"These ingenious objects got no further than four explosive cans of peas, which were found on German agents who landed in Ireland by small boat and claimed that they hoped to get them into Buckingham Palace."

Ingenious objects, not so ingenious planning...
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Islamofascism´s roots
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                      X