Fortune cookie weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortune cookie weirdness

So the Libertarian Librarian and I went out last night to a Thai-Chinese restaurant, and something happened which I had never seen before, despite many years of frequent visits to all manner of Asian eateries.

We both got the exact same fortune:

"You will be fortunate in everything you put your hands to."

Luckily, that fortune turned out to be very, very true, on several occasions; but still it was highly strange.

Has this ever happened to any of you folks?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

maybe that resturant bought cheap fortune cookies that only has one fortune... did you ask other customers what their fortunes were?

MAYBE ITS A TRICK!
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think I am more likely to go with Sava's explanation

"You will be fortunate in everything you put your hands to." is really a bit of a cover-all isn't it?
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Homer: [reading his fortune] "You will find happiness with a new love." Aw, even the Chinese are against me. What's the point? I can't fight fate

Man 1: Hey, we're out of these "New Love" cookies.

Man 2: Well, open up the "Stick With Your Wife" barrel.

Comment

Guy, didn't you just get split up (not personally)? I wish I had your luck.

Comment

I recently pulled a fortune that said something about good fortune and new ventures, then there was one left over cookie, which no one else wanted, and it had the same fortune. Weird. chalk it up to a uber cheap buffet.

Comment

So what did you put your hands to?

Comment

I'll never tell.

Comment

Seven of us went to a Chinese restaurant several months ago. There were two pair of fortunes at that table.

Comment

I once got, as my fortune, an ad for the fortune cookie company.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I keep waiting for one that says:

LOOK OUT!! RUN FOR IT!!!

Comment

She and I had talked previously of starting a line of Misfortune Cookies with similar sentiments.

"The calls are coming from inside the house!"
                        "Unfortunately for you, the clinic will be out of penicillin tomorrow."
                        "We were totally naked when we made this cookie."

...and so forth.

Comment

You will be so utterly and completely screwed! Give up.
                          By George, I've think you've got something there, Guynemer.

The good news is; Your lab tests are back and they show you have 24 hours to live. The bad news is: I forgot to tell you yesterday.

Comment

I'm waiting for one that says 'this will be your last cooking in this life'

Now, do you order another cookie and possibly hasten your demise, or do you...not? Perhaps never ordering another cookie anywhere knowing that you will die before it arives...
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Fortune cookie weirdness

Originally posted by Guynemer

Has this ever happened to any of you folks?
                              I once got a fortune that said "Your boss has you in mind for a promotion or raise."

I'll be d@mned if the boss didn't call me into his office the very next day. He started out with "I'm going to give you a choice ..."

I was so excited!

"... You can either quit, or we'll fire you."

I never read a fortune again.

She and I had talked previously of starting a line of Misfortune Cookies with similar sentiments.
                              Sorry to disappoint you, but Misfortune Cookies have been available (at least in San Francisco) for many years, along with "adult message" fortune cookies.

I love to show pictures of fortune cookies to students here in China, and tell them that westerners think that they are a traditional Chinese snack. In fact, few Chinese have ever seen or heard of them, fortune cookies were invented in California.
                              Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Working...
                              X