Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me plan a trip through southern France

Roughly spoken,
    my family and I will enter France with a mobile home from Andorra around 6th or 7th October and we'll leave France at the border of Monton around 11th October.
    The only definite halt is Carcassonne yet and we'll probably drive along the coast from Toulon eastwards.

Please, recommend me sites to visit - but keep in mind that we drive with a mobile home and we have our little son with us, so metropolitan Marseille isn't exactly what I'm thinking of.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Traitor! Why aren't you staying in the good old empire and going to Croatia instead?

Comment

Not much you can do wrong to be honest. It's all good down there.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

what's to see in andorra?

can't help you much though, never been to france
        CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
          Traitor! Why aren't you staying in the good old empire and going to Croatia instead?

Because I'm currently in Sevilla for my thesis, es decir, in Habsburg land. On the way back, I'll just make sure to conquer France.
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
            what's to see in andorra?

can't help you much though, never been to france
            Well, one of the major Pyrenee passes runs close to Andorra, so why not check another country I can tell I've visited. And following that way, I can get to Carcassonne conveniently.

Comment

What are your interests? History, scenery, nature, beaches, food, wine?
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Be sure to bring your own soap.

Comment

Pretend you're American to get better service.

Comment

Grasse is my favorite town in Provence, but with a mobile home and a kid, it may prove to be difficult. The Gorge du Verdon is fantastic as well, but a little off the beaten path.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Carcassone is a must, and it should be better at that time of the year (fewer tourists, better service). There are several cultural cities in the area that are pretty nice (Narbonne, Béziers, Montpellier and Nîmes), which aren't nearly as big as Marseilles. AFAIK, these cities are not overwhelming, but they can be a nice short halt during the travel.

The area is also famous for its many wines. Might be worth it to go to a wine-dealer in one of these cities.

Most of southern France is hilly once you stray far from the coast. It can make for nice walks, if the weather allows it.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Aix-en-Provence!

Driving through motorways surrounded by flower fields.. ahh
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Don't know the whole region, but I spent a week in Arles a couple years back and it was amazing. Roman ruins (aqueduct, castle, Les Alychamps burial grounds), incredible food, close the the Camargue (coastal wetlands preserve with unique indigenous horses & bulls, great tours by jeep with local cowboys).

Arles is the location where Van Gogh spent 2 years near the end of his life. There he painted several of his most famed works (Starry Night, Cafe at Night, LOTS of his landscapes and garden views -- over 200 canvases).

While there are no Van Gogh originals in Arles, they do have about a dozen spots around town that have little monolith columns about 3 feet high, with a reproduction of the painting he did while his easel was set up there. See the picture, see what Van Gogh actually saw. Very cool for a little photo essay! Some, the view is different (100+ years having passed), others it's like looking at the canvas.

The Cafe, by the way, is still there and in operation. The only place in town with bad food. We stayed across the Place du Forum courtyard from it. This was the center of town back when it was an important Roman outpost about 1000 years back. (Thus the Roman coliseum in town.)

Arles is very French, with little English spoken. It's a vacation spot for the French, but no one else seems to know about it. For history and food buffs, a must-see. Take at least two days. Oh, and prices are very reasonable there.

Ditto the drive-through per Datajack. Lavender, sunflowers, distant mountains... beautiful area.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Psst. Marseille is dangerous. Stay away from there
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Jrabbit

Arles is a very cultural spot, and it should be very pleasant at that time of the year
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X