Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tory leadership battle (plus highly biased guide to it!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tory leadership battle (plus highly biased guide to it!)

Gimp's highly biased guide to the Tory leadership battle.

The background-

The Conservatives (AKA- The Tories, The Nasty Party, The Hangers and Floggers, The Opposition) are seeking a new leader once more. In bygone years they would have chosen their man by "The Magic Circle"- a decision made behind closed doors by the party grandees. More recently, this was replaced by more open leadership battles with hopefuls bidding for support from MP's, or pledging their support to others.

After the drubbing William Hague received in 2001, with great fanfare the Tories unveiled their new democratic method of choosing a leader. Rather than have MP's decide, it was now up to grassroots Tory Party members to elect a leader- a gesture of empowerment to the members, allowing them to choose the leader representing the values they cherish. This was, of course, a mistake. Ask a group of Tory part members who they want and they'll invariably select the one promising to hang the most single mothers, birch the most queers, and deport the most darkies and Catholics. Appeal to the wider electorate is an afterthought.

The members chose Ian Duncan Smith, the most pro-Thatcherite of the contestants, and he never had the support of Tory MP's. They schemed and undermined him, and eventually forced him out. The next leadership battles was again decided by sidestepping an election entirely- effectively the MP's decided among themselves to present to members with a choice of only one candidate (Michael Howard). It was a return to the Magic Circle.

Now Howard is resigning, after the Tories were defeated for the third time in succession this year. It still hasn't been decided how the selection should be made, but most Tory MP's seem convinced that the party members can't be trusted to make the final decision.

So who are the likely contestants? Here's the guide-

David Davis.

Pro- The early leader, and if it was purely up to the MP's he might win. A long-time hard-line right-winger, he's also likely to be harsh enough to win over the party membership. The party would probably remain united under him.

Con- Hanger and flogger. Although the name is widely known, he's a shadowy presence with little charisma. He may be too right-wing to win over the centre ground, and isn't a great Parliamentary performer either. He may end up a "strong leader" who proudly leads a united Tory party to another defeat due to lack of public support.

Malcolm Rifkind.

Pro- Highly experienced at the highest reaches of government, more so than Davies. Respected by MP's, and by sectors of the party membership. Likely to appeal more to the centre-ground than Davies.

Con- Carries the distinct sad and musty whiff of failure about him, after spending years in the wilderness following the loss of his seat. If he can't even win in his home constituency, how can he win a general election? A weak, boggle-eyed loser destined to drop out and pledge his support to a stronger candidate.

Liam Fox

Pro- Has been rising fast over the past 8 years and is undeniably a rising star, who has steered clear of being too closely associated with too much failure. One of the better-know faces, and comes across as at least partially-human in interviews. Could appeal to the centre ground electorate.

Con- Seen as a bit too flash by sectors of the party membership, and hasn't got the long-term respect built up by others. Plus he's my MP, and I personally think he's scum after his treatment of my local Asylum Seeker processing centre. Could end up in the final two (against Davies) but I suspect he'll side with Davies as a "dream ticket" in return for one of the biggest Cabinet positions or Deputy leader.

David Cameron

Pro- The boy wonder. The bright new thing, representing a clean break from the old losing ways and a bold step into a new Tory future.

Con- Who? The general public have no idea who this kid is, let alone hold an opinion on him. Surely can't be considered a serious candidate- he's probably attempting to make a smart alliance to boost his career for the future.

Kenneth Clarke

Pro- The only Tory candidate I'd conceivably vote for. Pro-Europe and one of the most notable critics of the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Witty, well-known, charming and charismatic, nobody doubts that he could win over the centre ground. Ever entertaining in interviews and in debates, he'd be the most colourful Tory leader since Churchill. Yes- he's a horible Tory, but I actually like him.

Con- He could win the centre-ground, but lose the right wing in the process. It could be a repeat of Major, with the Tories winning the election but splitting in the process. Doesn't have widespread support of the Tory party membership (which is why he lost before) and is too pro-Europe to win over the Tory MP's over either. Anyone who isn't a natural Tory voter wants him to win, but ultimately he scares the Tories. Plus, at 65, he's no spring chicken.

So who do you want to see winning?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

who's the cigar smoking dude?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's either Kenneth Clarke, Winston Churchill, or Groucho Marx.

Comment

What a sorry bunch of no-hopers (nice summary Laz ).

I suppose the only chance any of them has is that he won't face Tony Blair (the luckiest politician I have ever seen) at the next general election.

Clarke has the best chance of actually getting a decent result come the next election but I expect the Tories to bottle it and pick Davis.

I wonder if any of them will worry Labour sufficiently to be a factor in who follows Tony?
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Don't forget that chubby, charming Kenneth Clarke was deputy chairman of British-American Tobacco, a company with a penchant for aggressively advertising its cancerous products across the globe.

Comment

He certainly is, but he's excused from charges of hypocrisy on the grounds that he's a highly enthusiastic user of their produce.

Comment

Boris Johnson!

- but he's not in the running after unwisely (but amusingly) insulting the Scousers.

Of course, I don't give a damn about who they choose for the dinosaur party leadership, but seeing as they most I can expect from a Tory these days is to be entertaining (see Boris) I'd rather listen to cigar-chomping Clarke, who can at least manage a rhetorical turn of phrase.

OTOH, Clarke seems as keen to roll over to the Jihadists as the SWP, The Guardian, Ken Livingstone and half the rest of the establishment. I opposed the Iraq War, but this near-national consensus that we should let Al-Quaeda nutballs dictate foreign policy disgusts me.

Charles Moore (nearly forgotten-about Thatcherite) was complaining that the inner circle mechanism was about as democratic as Robert Mugabe's party. Trouble is, as Laz said, the party membership is so unrepresentative of the country that they would almost certainly make the party unelectable.

Comment

An interesting bunch - however if Clark became leader of the Tory party it would probably make the Labour Party the most right wing of the two
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Clarke seems as keen to roll over to the Jihadists as the SWP, The Guardian, Ken Livingstone and half the rest of the establishment.

Shaun Wright Phillips wants to roll over to the Jihadists! Yet another reason Chelsea should lose!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The BBC lists other possibles, but I don't consider any to be credible.

Comment

i just hope they get it over with soon, it's been dragging on for months now and think most people have lost interest.

i like ken clarke but i don't believe for a second that he's really changed his views on europe and as laz pointed out, he's hardly in the first flush of youth.

from what i've seen of him, i like david cameron and no doubt he's the future of tory party but no one really knows who he is. in a few years him and george osborne could be the tory blair and brown, but not yet.

if laz hates liam fox so much then he must be doing something right but i don't really know much about him.

after the last election david davis made the point that the tories were too timid and hadn't differentiated themselves enough from labour, which is something i'd certainly agree with. although i'd rather they did it with some radical thinking as opposed to hard right politics, but we'll see i guess. i reckon davis could appeal to broad range of people, if issues like crime and immigration are important at the next election then i think a lot of working class people will be able to identify with davis, he is after all, one of us.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

"One of us"? How did you figure that one out? He is the MP for one of Hull's neighbouring constituencies...and hardly a poor area...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'd like to see Ken Clarke win.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yeah, same here...I am of the same opinion as Laz on this one. However I doubt this will happen due to the problems it will cause within the party...
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

oh cos he represents a nice area, he's not working class

look up up his bio and educate yourself.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X