Other ways to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other ways to help

Yes, this is another Katrina thread, and it very likely could be closed. And, if I may make a request, I'd like this to be a "no politics" thread.

At any rate, I just wanted to remind everyone that donating money to the Red Cross or other charities is not the only way to help.

For those of you who can, I can not urge you strongly enough: please, donate your blood. We ALWAYS need blood, but especially in a disaster scenario like this, we need as many donations as possible.

If you can't donate blood for any reason, donate some clothes. I know of several local churches that are collecting clothing to send to the Coast; there are almost certainly similar drives going on in your area.

If you live near the Coast, find out if and where any refugees are being housed in your area, and volunteer your time to help them in any way you can--provide food, transportation, clothing, shelter, etc.

If all you can do is donate money, make your donation securely on-line at

You can specify donating your cash specifically for Katrina relief, for the general National Disaster Relief Fund, your local Red Cross chapter, a worldwide measles vaccination program, or to other programs.

Once again, I urge you to outdo our governments--no industrialized nation spends as much as 1% of GDP on humanitarian aide. So by donating merely 1% of your yearly salary, you'll really have something to be smug and superior about in politics threads.

If you haven't done anything yet to help, please do so.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

I may be headed down there late next week. I have thought about it for the past couple of days and I feel like crap for not being able to do more than just get buy water. I see some of the dislocated in town and it breaks my heart. Some in my Gaurd unit will be heading down there and there is a number of volenteer slots.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Good man.

Comment

I could give blood..

I think I am too far away to help physically..

and I have been unemployed for a while, so the monetary ammount I can help is slim..

but I can give blood, I think

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          I could give blood..

I think I am too far away to help physically..

and I have been unemployed for a while, so the monetary ammount I can help is slim..

but I can give blood, I think

JM
          Any little bit can help jon. I can't give a whole lot but I can afford to give some of my time. Just give what you can. This is going to be going on for a long time so pace yourself
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

They won't accept my blood.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Because you're gay?

Comment

That's one of many reasons the Red Cross won't accept blood.

There are other ways to help, as I listed above.

Comment

I cant donate blood I have tried my veins are two small I have been told the 4 times i tried. I can volunteer my skills as a nurse if that helps tho I dont work full time staff at any hospital, i work agency, if there is a need id help if i can
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                  "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                  Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I wonder if they'd take old pots and pans. I was gonna try and sell them on eBay. People gotta cook.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

What food do they have to cook in the first place? They have a food shortage down there.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm thinking further in the future, when they're trying to put their lives back together.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

ok
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                          X