Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effective Solution to Rape + STDs, I like it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effective Solution to Rape + STDs, I like it!!!

Anti-rape condom aims to stop attacks

A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex," a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage," she told reporters in Kleinmond, a small holiday village about 100km (60 miles) east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy coordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is medieval and barbaric -- an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Given that enough women use those things, it will indeed turn attempted rapes into severe violence cases. I don't really believe that rapists would have trouble beating up a woman.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

- It's a trap!!

Comment

It depends just how debilitating having a shafts of sharp barbs embedded in your penis is.

I know Im not much good for anything if I get flicked in the nut the wrong way, let alone this
        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

it sounds like an appropriate defence to something as evil as rape...

but it really has to incapacitate the man so he cant wail away on the woman untill the whole original purpose is mute.
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

OTOH, if most women wear this, the potential rapists would think twice before attacking their targets. Especially if the result is highly debilitating.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Wait, what does the device do exactly, how does it work?
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

How will it stop them just going for the back door first instead?
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Backdoor rape is a dumb idea. Much more chance of hurting yourself.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

MY question is practical-- Can not this thing be removed reasonably easily if the rapist is aware of it?? If not, when does a woman put it in and how and when does she get it out ? Its not like a woman is expecting rape every day. If a woman goes out some night with the idea that she might want to have sex with someone, can she wear this? Is there any chance she could forget about it and thereby damage a consensual partner?
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Sounds as though it'd be easy to find.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The barbs should have a nerve agent.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I think it's a great idea, despite the fact that this could increase the number of oral and anal rapes rather than reduce rapings all together, just vaginal rapes. Well maybe it does reduce the total amount. But what ever helps, I think it's good. Rape is a hideous crime so I can't say this is stupid and dumb, it should be tried and see what happens.

However, the law states, at least in here, that the tools used in crime are to be handed over to the state.. I think that would be more effective weapon against rapists. Rape once, you won't rape again. At least not with your own tool. And maybe few hot shots will just forget aobut the whole idea when they know the peepee will be history.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                            - It's a trap!!

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex," a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Comment

I once thought of this little explosive, that you would have, I mean a woman would have, very little, and when raping would happen, that little ball would travel fast into the man's penis, inside of it, and then the man would pull out because it would hurt a little, and the woman could just say 'in 2 minutes, your penis will explode to little pieces. I suggest you use those 2 minutes taking pictures of it and admiring it, now that you still have it. Fasten your seatbelts and don't mind me cheering for what is about to happen. Ta-ta!'

*kaboom*
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X