Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific American, Oct 2001

Drowning New Orleans

A major hurricane could swamp New Orleans under 20 feet of water, killing thousands. Human activities along the Mississippi River have dramatically increased the risk, and now only massive reengineering of southeastern Louisiana can save the city

Comment

• (though much more in the Sierra Club/Nature Conservancy mode than the Earth First/PETA mode).

You say it like it's a bad thing.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Az
        (though much more in the Sierra Club/Nature Conservancy mode than the Earth First/PETA mode).

You say it like it's a bad thing.
        No, I was just trying to draw a distinction, with an eye toward where Che's sympathies probably lie.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• I don't think that che's sympathies lie with PETA, but I could be wrong.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Az
            I don't think that che's sympathies lie with PETA, but I could be wrong.
            Earth First and PETA are farther left -- that's all I meant.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• Not really. They're just "animal and nature rights" instead of simply "enviromentalist".
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

• I have a question for the conservatives. How is the private sector helping in this disaster? Can they help?
                "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• I already asked something similar. No answer was forthcoming.

I suppose the Red Cross and all manner of religious charities are doing stuff.

Comment

• That's odd. I distinctly remember answering your question.

Comment

• In your head, maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandman
                        I already asked something similar. No answer was forthcoming.

I suppose the Red Cross and all manner of religious charities are doing stuff.
                        the american red cross is taking a huge role. I heard an interview on NPR with their man in Biloxi, where they are giving out food, water, etc. I presume they are also active in Baton Rouge, Houston, and other places NO refugees are being taken. The guy in Biloxi said somthing about "the Southern Baptist kitchen", Im not sure what that is. NGO's, religious and secular are active across the region. Some businesses are making donations (i believe someone mentioned Walmart) and some are offering jobs to refugees.

The utilities (mainly private) are attempting to restore services in the impacted region.

Some New Orleans businesses are attempting to start up operations in Baton Rouge, IIUC.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

the american red cross is taking a huge role. I heard an interview on NPR with their man in Biloxi, where they are giving out food, water, etc. I presume they are also active in Baton Rouge, Houston, and other places NO refugees are being taken. The guy in Biloxi said somthing about "the Southern Baptist kitchen", Im not sure what that is. NGO's, religious and secular are active across the region. Some businesses are making donations (i believe someone mentioned Walmart) and some are offering jobs to refugees.

The utilities (mainly private) are attempting to restore services in the impacted region.

Some New Orleans businesses are attempting to start up operations in Baton Rouge, IIUC.
                          The problem with the Red Cross is that they will send a bill to all those they help if they don't charge them right on the spot.

I know this is true because they did it to my grandfather on my father's side and to my mother's family.
                          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• Elaborate please........

Comment

Working...
                            X