Gas is $2.68 a gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, they were less ineffective then.

1984 to 1986 was, as I recall, largely the effect of a policy decision.

Not the type of relief that's available today.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Have a little perspective. Oil was $11 as recently as late 1998. There's no reason at all why it can't go there again. So plan your business accordingly.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Yes, it was.

That was 7 years ago. 2 billion+ people are living in developing countries that experience 7+% annual growth rate in their economies. Over 7 years that adds up to over 60% growth.

Now that we've picked up most of the world's excess capacity of cheap oil and we're finally beginning to see the resulting price increases, do you mind explaining to me how it's going to drop down to something like that ever again, without some sort of technological miracle, humongous new oil discovery or global economic depression?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Why is the choice between 7%+ growth and a depression? Sounds like you're making unwarranted assumptions about the future...

In any event, I know for a fact that the price of oil could be $30 tomorrow, because even the most marginal of producers can make good money at $30. Even the oil sands make good money at $30.
          Last edited by DanS; September 8, 2005, 15:04.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• That's a bit specious.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• KH or Dans?

Comment

• DanS.

Whilst I agree oil prices could be $30 again I don't think your argument holds that simply because it can be profitable for producers to do so that it will mean that prices could fall to $30 by tomorrow.

Jacking up supply is not an overnight activity, so the only way for prices to fall is for demand to fall suddenly and markedly. Not going to happen overnight either.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• OK, maybe not tomorrow. 8 months from now, just as happened in 1986. The "tomorrow" was rhetorical.
                  Last edited by DanS; September 8, 2005, 15:28.

Comment

Working...
                  X